Hi guys,

First, here's my specs from my brand new personal built PC:

ASUS P5Q-Deluxe Mobo
Q9550
Patriot Viper 4GB DDR2 800 RAM
eVGA 8800GT SSC (bout a year old)
Corsair 750W PSU
Seagate 500GB HDD

So like the title says, freezes and lockups in Windows and setup. The screen would still show but the keyboard and mouse wouldn't work. I had the DFI LP LT X48 board but switched it to the P5Q-D and I started having these problems so I'm thinking it's the mobo but I don't know. I installed Windows XP 64bit first and when I was having these problems, I tried reformatting to XP 32bit to see if it was the culprit and it locked up in the setup. I google searched, forum searched and did tons of testing. Switched out RAM sticks, Video cards, etc. I just hate to switch CPUs and etc but maybe that's what it takes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ins

That was another thing I thought of. Yet when I had 64 installed, I ran RealTemp and my Idle temps on CPU was 39 - 41. Load using Prime95 was 50 - 52. Same thing when I used my DFI board. My cooler is a Xigmatek S-1283.

Edit: Do you think I should reseat my CPU heatsink even though temps are fine?

Do you have any other peripherals on the computer? Wireless card etc.

Check Windows Event Log to see if that shows anything of interest as well.

Nope. Everything is bare minimum. Other than my Razer mouse I'm using. Should I switch to a different, more generic mouse? Keyboard is generic.

I can't check any windows logs because I reformatted when trying to install 32bit XP. It froze on install and I haven't tried it since. I'm using Asus's ExpressGate while posting this and it's running fine.

I haven't had any problems like this when I had my DFI board installed. Once I switched to the P5Q, it wigged out. I want figure it out for sure though before RMAing the board.

So possible RMA? I guess the only way to figure out if it's the MB is to swap the CPU for my older E6300. Ugh, gonna waste another bit of TIM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom