Random Crashes (long explanation)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have any other sticks of RAM.
Also, I'm pretty sure it was a good 2-3 hours. I guess later tonight before I go to bed I'll run it again so it'll be 6+ hours.

Until then I'll try a earlier nVidia driver.

Another update:

I tried just troubleshooting the hardware itself. I figured it could be either stick of RAM or possibly the slots themselves.
I took 1 stick out and left 1 stick in. Still BSOD so I exchanged it with the other stick and it crashed as well.

So I tried one in the 3rd slot (originally had them in dimm slots 1 and 3 for dual channel so I thought since they BOTH failed in dimm 1 it could just be the slot) but they both failed in that slot too.

Then I figured it could, possibly, be both the slots. So I moved them to dimm's 2 and 4 and it still crashed. So, either all slots are bad, or the dimms are bad.

Of course this could be a driver problem, but I still can't fathom downloading a bad driver from nVidia three times.

I also cleaned out the case in the middle of the ram testing process. There wasn't much dust but I thought possibly a piece was in the PCI-E slot or something, it was pretty clean though.

I'm pretty stumped on what this could be. I can browse the web, watch movies, play music, and anything of that sort just fine, but games seem to crash me.

I took it to Fry's and they couldn't figure anything out and said that everything I did is stuff that they would have done as well.

So I'm reformatting now. If this doesn't fix it I'm going to flip.

Reformatted last night and played WoW for a good hour, no crash. I think this fixed it! I'm excited and upset. This verifies that is was a driver problem and drivercleaner pro just didn't do the job on removing them completely somehow.

Oh well, I did a good job backing up. Plus with my PC it took 45 mins to reformat and install windows. Then a good two hours reinstalling all my games, programs, and patches.

I digress. Solution: Reformat (for me).

It's just too bad it needed a format before you could get something like a driver to work. You should let drivercleaner know about their little problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom