Random Computer shut downs - Please help, getting desperate - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Random Computer shut downs - Please help, getting desperate

[INDENT=3] I'm having a problem that is very hard to narrow down. My computer randomly shuts off, at first it happened only while into a game for 20 min. to 1 hour, but it's happened just in windows as well (though I can leave the computer on all night doing nothing no problem.

I've ruled out video card over heating.

My system is:
Asus M5A88-V EvO - motherboard
8 gigs kingston ram
Sapphire AMD Radeon 6770 5DDR 1 Gig card
Coolermaster extreme power plus 550W

After a lot of benchmark tests that proved inconclusive, I swapped out the PSU for an identical one (unfortunately the only one available to me). Same issue persisted.

So I thought it was the video card, so I put an old video card in, ASUS EAH 4850. I played swtor for about 40 minutes then it shut down, not overheated.

So is this PSU just bad all around and should I test with a brand new one? Or could it be the motherboard or CPU?

I ran a mem test and that was fine. What other tests could I do to diagnose?

Thank you in advance

Old 12-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Grinch
Default Re: Random Computer shut downs - Please help, getting desperate

You wouldn't happen to be getting a Hyper Transport Sync Flood error when you start back up, would you?

Old 12-23-2011, 09:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Default Re: Random Computer shut downs - Please help, getting desperate

Originally Posted by c0rr0sive View Post
You wouldn't happen to be getting a Hyper Transport Sync Flood error when you start back up, would you?
I'm with corrisive on this one, since you have 8gb of kingston ram, what speed is it at currently ?
If you have 1333 or 1600mhz speed right now, try to reconfigure it down that your system can handle it.
Check memory timings and volts and make sure it is not to high where your system will shut off inconsistantly.

Newegg.com - Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
You might do alot more better with this, but lets see if we can correct that problem before we say the psu has gone bonkers.
Closed Thread