Random Computer Lockups

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could be onto somthing with the DVD drive. I've also had problems with bad CD/DVD drives hanging my computer before. And I think that temp 3 is your CPU only because if you look across at fan 3 its 2203 RPM and usually the motherboard will show CPU fan speed and not always case fans. Just a guess there but i would put new thermal paste on the CPU.

Splatoid might be right about the DVD problem, which it could be causing the conflict. However, if you're having errors with your your Hard Drive controller that points to a defective drive (not the drive itself but the controller which is the one in charge of interpreting the data) The fact that you finished the CHKDSK after a long time (or not able to complete the test) points to a hard drive issue; back up your data now.
Also, Splatoid, at the bottom of the SpeedFan screen you can read the two Core's temperature, so that high reading should be something else. He needs to check that in the BIOS.

Alright, went to my friend's house, popped in a junky PCI video card just for testing. I rebooted myself a few times to see if it would freeze, it wouldn't. We had it on for about 30 minutes, doing scandisk/defragment, and no freezes. Although they just may be a streak of good luck, I'll see by the end of tonight (it's bound to freeze atleast once if the issue is still at hand).

My temp in BIOS is around 35c at load.

If it is the video card, hopefully eVGA will still replace mine, even if I didn't register my product in the 30 days I bought it. :\ I'll give it a few days before I contact them though, just incase it's not the video card.

Any luck with the video card? What happened after you unplugged the DVD power connector? Try to be more consistent about your answers so we can help you better. You have to isolate the problem and the way you're providing answers is kind of confusing and it won't allow us to rule out "possible causes" for your problem, you know what I mean? Post back with current situation,ok?

COCOCOOKIE said:
Any luck with the video card? What happened after you unplugged the DVD power connector? Try to be more consistent about your answers so we can help you better. You have to isolate the problem and the way you're providing answers is kind of confusing and it won't allow us to rule out "possible causes" for your problem, you know what I mean? Post back with current situation,ok?

After I unplugged the DVD power connector, it didn't freeze for about 30 minutes, and I thought I had isolated the problem. It froze right after I bragged to a friend I fixed the problem.:mad:

As for the video card, it's been 20 hours without a single freeze. I was browsing the eVGA website looking for RMA service when I found this thread. This made me feel better. Also talking with my other friend about his video card, he mentioned his was a 7900GS as well, having the same symptoms. He took it out, and his is rock solid.

Before I went to my buddy's house for diagnostics, I got one last freeze. Instead of everything stopping, it displayed lines of color across the screen, leading me to believe it was the video card.

Should I wait another day before I RMA my Video Card to make sure it won't freeze still?

Skizzy said:
Before I went to my buddy's house for diagnostics, I got one last freeze. Instead of everything stopping, it displayed lines of color across the screen, leading me to believe it was the video card.

Should I wait another day before I RMA my Video Card to make sure it won't freeze still?

Lines across the screen or dashed lines or doted lines are definitely a Video Card failure. Don't wait, RMA that card and if you can get a snapshot or a pic for your records. You can RMA and still have time to keep "testing" your video card problem because it might take a couple of days until you finally get the RMA#, you know what I mean? Post back if you have more info or encounter other problems. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom