Random BSOD on new(ish) computer - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2012, 12:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Random BSOD on new(ish) computer

When I ran the test on each stick individually I put them in the same slot. Is it possible the voltages are set incorrectly and one stick is just able to take it?

In any case, I'm going to take a second look in the BIOS tomorrow and see if anything looks out of order.

JustinBoSc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
True Techie

no the voltage setting will only go to all ram slots. so your ok there, but you should go check the processor speed. You didn't touch the Motherboard recently did you? there is switch to flick
to the right of the ram slots, it wouldn't be easy to do by accident but if you flicked it at one point your system could overclock itself. Reading the manual it wasn't clear whether you would have to turn it on in the bios first though. I would just check the processor and mb speeds first if your computer will stay on long enough

ugoboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

As far as automatically overclocking components, I'm not sure if this is actually even a real feature or if I made it up but it seems familiar. Sort of like how AMD's cool'n'quiet feature underclocks the CPU when not in use.

Actually, that may be why my idle temps change so drastically, and, seemingly, without reason.

One last thought I had. I noticed that XFX recently redesigned my exact GPU to now include 2x 6 prong power plugs. It seems that would indicate that the original design was not receiving enough power. I may look into contacting them just to ask about it.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I meant more so if one of the sticks was more stable than the other. Like how two identical CPU's might not be able to overclock to the same speeds.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinBoSc View Post
I meant more so if one of the sticks was more stable than the other. Like how two identical CPU's might not be able to overclock to the same speeds.

ohh naw that's really unlikely with todays ram... back in the sdram days sometimes it was a tossup, so I'm gonna doubt that one. let's keep it simple, check your cpu speed.
ugoboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #16 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The feature I was referring to is called CPU Level Up and it was, in fact, activated. I have no idea how that happened, but I'll just assume it was user error
Old 09-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Arrow Re: Random BSOD on new(ish) computer

Quote:
The feature I was referring to is called CPU Level Up and it was, in fact, activated. I have no idea how that happened, but I'll just assume it was user error
Here is a nice message from toms hardware forum.
Amd phenomii x4 965 BE Stock core voltage - CPUs - Overclocking
Honestly with 965 me and others who have owned this little beast can tell you straight off it will handle well 3.8ghz or 3.9ghz.
If it cannot handle that speed I personally recommend you drop it back down to 3.4ghz or 3.2ghz.
Check the tempature in bios, if the tempature stays at 39c or above 55c it maybe time to change your grease and look into a better heatsink fan.

There are others out there who have gotten it to 4.0ghz and me, but I'll warn you now, it will crash like mad and eventually ruin one of your ram sticks if your not carefull.
Good luck on this one.
-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I don't really have a need to overclock it at the moment so I would rather it ran cool and quiet. Maybe I'll even underclock it a bit. In any case, I'm getting a new heatsink for it because I can't stand how loud the stock one is. I built my PC to be as quiet as possible and the CPU fan is by far the loudest component. When I do I'm going to use Arctic Cooling MX-4 as I've heard it outperforms AS5.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Post Re: Random BSOD on new(ish) computer

Quote:
I don't really have a need to overclock it at the moment so I would rather it ran cool and quiet. Maybe I'll even underclock it a bit. In any case, I'm getting a new
Thats the reason why I provided you that link, have a look into it.
If you read it and learn how to OC AMD cpu's you will understand how to undeclock them very easily by lowering your ram speed and voltages.
Yes I told you might want to invest in a new heatsink, I have artic cooling on my Fx4100 and it has not even made a sound since may.
I'll need to change the grease by friday as my cpu is starting to spike up past 50c after 5 months.
"I hate those moments as I am usually busy" -_-
-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yeah thanks for the link. There's a ton of good info on there. As of now I'm declaring this problem relatively fixed lol. I have been able to play a few games here and there without any issue. Temps are currently idling around 33c and peaking around 45c under moderate load. I'm going to stress test the CPU and GPU just to see what happens but for now I'm pretty happy.

Thanks again for all the assistance everyone!