Ram suddenly not being detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkonjibhu

Baseband Member
My computer was running fine and dectected my 1.5g of ram, then all of a sudden after I restarted, I noticed only 1g was being recognized. I tried swapping out a couple different sticks of ram (as well as trying the ram in another computer, and they are all functional), and it seems all the sticks work as well as all the slots, but my computer won't recognize all the ram that is in there. Anyone knows what the problem could be? Could it be something happened to my motherboard and it only recognized 2 out of the 3 slots?

Thanks.

Forgot to mention, the sticks are from different manufacturers, but they are all PC2700 DDR333 Ram.

just checking that you have 3X 512mb PC2700 DDR333 Ram.

If so what manufacturer motherboard have you got

Yes, they are all PC2700 DDR333. I'm using a Gigabyte GA-8VT800 board, which holds up to 3GB of DDR333 or 2GB or DDR400 I believe.

The thing that's wierd is that all three sticks were working for a couple weeks without any trouble, then all of a sudden, a stick doesn't work, and I had that stick in my system for about 3 years. I thought the stick might have died, but it still works in other systems, just not in mine for some reason.

try swapping the ram sticks over and see if that works, Take the stick thats not working out and put one of the other sticks in there, cause it could be the Ram Slot

At first I thought it was the slot too, so I did some swapping, and it was all the same result. The slots work, it's just that stick that doesn't work anymore (after working perfectly for 3 years and still working in other systems). I'm just not really sure what the problem could be.

sorry if u noted this before but have you put that one non working stick in, like just that one...what happens? if it detects that one stick in other slots then it might just be the slot slowly dying..i dunno im just pullin things out to help u....if it does detect that one piece of ram try running memtest86 on it to check for any errors...load all the ram in and run memtest86 to see what u get

Oh forgot to post that I fixed the issue a few days back. After a while of swapping and testing out the Ram, there was a slot combination in which the sticks all got detected without a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom