RAM Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlito6904

Solid State Member
Hi all,

I am having a problem with my RAM.

I have a Gigabyte M55SLI-S4 AM2 with AMD 64 X2 dual-core processor and Dual channel DDR2 800+.

I recently installed A-DATA 4GB (2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Ram. I installed a total of 8GB on my motherboard.

When I boot my desktop, it appears to read all 8 Gig (close to 8GB anyway) but windows does not seem to recognize the new RAM. When I right click on Properties for My Computer, it only shows 3.25GB of RAM and other programs, such as UniBlue's Speed Up My PC, also only register the 3.25 Gig.

I had originally installed Patriot 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-5300 when I built the computer a year and a half ago. I upgraded to the A-DATA RAM.

Please help, this is extremely aggravating.

After posting, I started reading about this issue. I am not completely sure, but I think it is only 32 bit. I am in the process of investigating this. Any help or advice would be appreciated

What he said ^^^

If it is 64bit it will state this. If it is 32bit XP it will only say XP Home/Pro Service pack #. It won't list the 32bit if it is actually 32bit.

Can I ask why you upgraded to 8GB anyways? Any more than 4 is RARELY needed (usually only for servers, really).

I am pretty confident that I am only using 32 bit. I cannot identify anything that says my os is 64 bit. I followed a thread that led to the discussion about 32 or 64 bit, and I used the CPU ID and the Belarc Advisor.

yup you need to get a 64 bit OS like windows xp 64 bit or vista 64 or you wont be able to use more then 3.5 gb in windows.

Also remember, that the ram on your video card counts towards that usable 3.5gb that the OS can address.

What he said ^^^

If it is 64bit it will state this. If it is 32bit XP it will only say XP Home/Pro Service pack #. It won't list the 32bit if it is actually 32bit.

Can I ask why you upgraded to 8GB anyways? Any more than 4 is RARELY needed (usually only for servers, really).

I upgraded to 8GB because I use Photoshop and Illustrator for Graphic Design work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom