Ram Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmellyOne

Baseband Member
I bought a new stick of ram and I am not sure it is compatible with my current.

Originally I bought this: Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

But one stick was defective and later I bought this:Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory - Retail

Thinking it was the same. But now that I look at it the timings are different.

I though maybe I could just set the timings manually in bios. I set them to 4-4-4-12. Which is the timings of the original stick of ram I bought. But everytime I try to boot after that, I get a black screen. No video signal at all. I tried multiple times to boot up with leaving the times on "auto", but it fails to boot up Windows.

Is this stick of ram not compatible? Or am I just doing something wrong.

Oh and I made sure that they are in the right slots.

Edit: I figured I should add some important information.
BIOS detects 2GB of ram.
I cleared CMOS a few times with no success.
I tried the new stick of ram by itself. So it is not defective.
Even though the ram says it is DDR2 800, after clearing CMOS it says it is DDR2 666. Does this make sense?
I made sure the sticks were seated properly and in the right slots.

*UPDATE*
I got Windows to boot up with both sticks with the timings in BIOS set to "auto". Windows detects 2GB.

I feel pretty stupid actually because originally I was trying to boot Windows up from Hibernation and it was failing. I assumed it was the ram but apparantley something just went wrong with the hibernation. I booted Windows normally and everything works so far.

I haven't tested games or checked if the timings, voltages, etc. are correct. Just wanted to note that my main problem is solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom