RAM problem, help

You may have seated it wrong, reseat and re-test. Make sure you test that stick in BOTH slots, and do it AGAIN with the 4GB stick.

If the 2GB stick fails in one slot, but not the other then you can rule that the slot it failed in is bad.
If the 2GB stick fails in BOTH slots, even after reseating it, then you can rule either a bad stick, OR bad memory controller.
To test the memory controller, try testing with the 4GB stick in each slot, if it fails in both slots you are either very unlucky and have both a bad 2GB and 4GB stick, or surely have a bad controller.
If the 4GB stick fails in the same slot as the 2GB stick fails in, then that slot is 100% dead.

Last edited:
Now im trying it in the other slot, the thing is that I had done this before (trying both sticks separately in each slot) without errors showing...I guess I should run each test for days (not just 2) to be completely sure

You may have seated it wrong, reseat and re-test. Make sure you test that stick in BOTH slots, and do it AGAIN with the 4GB stick.

If the 2GB stick fails in one slot, but not the other then you can rule that the slot it failed in is bad.
If the 2GB stick fails in BOTH slots, even after reseating it, then you can rule either a bad stick, OR bad memory controller.
To test the memory controller, try testing with the 4GB stick in each slot, if it fails in both slots you are either very unlucky and have both a bad 2GB and 4GB stick, or surely have a bad controller.
If the 4GB stick fails in the same slot as the 2GB stick fails in, then that slot is 100% dead.

Corrosive, I had tried all that before, and it never showed errors when trying the sticks separately (until today), only when i was testing the 2 of them at the same time.

As I said in my previous post I think I should run memtest for longer, they never fail right away, even when trying the 2 of them together

Well, like I said it could have been seated wrong. If the RAM is bad it will show within 24 hours of the test starting usually... No need for several days.

I have seen some RAM make it ~24 hours and still be bad, but that was under unusual circumstances. Was back when SDRAM133 was the best you could get ahold of, 512MB stick, wasn't a cheap stick for sure.

ok, it seems the upper slot is the problematic one, both memory sticks show errors when you try them in it (trying them separately of course), no problems when trying them in the "lower" one

sucks...

Can the motherboard support an 8GB stick?

Lot of 8GB sticks exist, here is just one of like 50 different ones at newegg, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231565

The only thing is, your gonna have to find a place in your country that will sell it, or find someone that ships to that country, newegg doesn't ship outside of Canada, US, China, Japan, and I am THINKING australia.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom