RAM problem, help - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: RAM problem, help

You may have seated it wrong, reseat and re-test. Make sure you test that stick in BOTH slots, and do it AGAIN with the 4GB stick.

If the 2GB stick fails in one slot, but not the other then you can rule that the slot it failed in is bad.
If the 2GB stick fails in BOTH slots, even after reseating it, then you can rule either a bad stick, OR bad memory controller.
To test the memory controller, try testing with the 4GB stick in each slot, if it fails in both slots you are either very unlucky and have both a bad 2GB and 4GB stick, or surely have a bad controller.
If the 4GB stick fails in the same slot as the 2GB stick fails in, then that slot is 100% dead.

c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #22 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Now im trying it in the other slot, the thing is that I had done this before (trying both sticks separately in each slot) without errors showing...I guess I should run each test for days (not just 2) to be completely sure

danielthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rr0sive View Post
You may have seated it wrong, reseat and re-test. Make sure you test that stick in BOTH slots, and do it AGAIN with the 4GB stick.

If the 2GB stick fails in one slot, but not the other then you can rule that the slot it failed in is bad.
If the 2GB stick fails in BOTH slots, even after reseating it, then you can rule either a bad stick, OR bad memory controller.
To test the memory controller, try testing with the 4GB stick in each slot, if it fails in both slots you are either very unlucky and have both a bad 2GB and 4GB stick, or surely have a bad controller.
If the 4GB stick fails in the same slot as the 2GB stick fails in, then that slot is 100% dead.
Corrosive, I had tried all that before, and it never showed errors when trying the sticks separately (until today), only when i was testing the 2 of them at the same time.

As I said in my previous post I think I should run memtest for longer, they never fail right away, even when trying the 2 of them together
Old 07-22-2014, 10:14 PM   #24 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Well, like I said it could have been seated wrong. If the RAM is bad it will show within 24 hours of the test starting usually... No need for several days.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:32 PM   #25 (permalink)
Build Guru

If the RAM is bad or settings are wrong you will fail a test rather quickly actually.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:53 PM   #26 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I have seen some RAM make it ~24 hours and still be bad, but that was under unusual circumstances. Was back when SDRAM133 was the best you could get ahold of, 512MB stick, wasn't a cheap stick for sure.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:53 PM   #27 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ok, it seems the upper slot is the problematic one, both memory sticks show errors when you try them in it (trying them separately of course), no problems when trying them in the "lower" one

sucks...
Old 07-30-2014, 12:26 AM   #28 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Bad slot most likely then... Could be the slot it self, or the memory controller... No real way to tell honestly.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:24 AM   #29 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Does anybody know if i can get a single 8gb stick? I always see 2x4gb

thanks
Old 07-30-2014, 12:15 PM   #30 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Can the motherboard support an 8GB stick?

Lot of 8GB sticks exist, here is just one of like 50 different ones at newegg, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231565

The only thing is, your gonna have to find a place in your country that will sell it, or find someone that ships to that country, newegg doesn't ship outside of Canada, US, China, Japan, and I am THINKING australia.