RAM problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balera

Solid State Member
Hi,

I'm having some issues with my ram, there are 3 games I have which, 2 of them stop working after 2 minutes of gaming and 1 of them doesn't even get after the loading screen. So I started to look for answers, I'm now searching the ram part. I've ran memtest tests with 1 stick, differend positions on the mobo they all run without trouble but when I insert both of my sticks it gives an error 'unexpected interrupt halting cpu0' so now my question is, is something wrong with my mobo or ram or something else?

system
cpu: intel i5 2500k
gpu: asus 570 gtx
ram: corsair XMS 3 (2x4GB)
mobo: msi z68a-gd65 b3

Oh and 1 of those games (the one that now doesn't even properly load, ran very good some time ago, no changes have been done since well except me trying to fix the problem)
Everything is up to date (drivers, programs, bios, ...). So I really don't see the problem why '1' some of my games don't work and '2' memtest doesn't want to run with both my ram sticks in.

I think that's about all I can tell now. If I forgot to say something please ask, thanks!

I am not familiar with the intel cougar point platform, but if 1 stick runs fine in different slots. it maybe your CPU (more specifically, the IMC). did you try to run with memtest with just the OTHER stick of ram too?

Hi,

Yes both passed. Would that mean that my cpy is allready screwed :| and what is IMC? :p

Integrated memory controller = IMC, it is a component inside a modern CPU, once inside a chipset.

If it runs fine with each stick in different configurations, but fails with both sticks in, it could be the IMC acting up, incompatible RAM modules, (may be compatible with the CPU, but not each other, they should both be same brand/speed/timings).

I would look into potential BIOS settings, as it could be setting something wrong when using both sticks. Such as ganged/un-ganged, wrong timings and voltages.

Thanks for the quick answers!

these are the links to my hardware:

MSI Global - Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more
Intel® Core
XMS3

I do think everything is compatible with one another. The RAM stick are the same because I bought them as 2x4GB (meaning same package).

I'm not really seeing much of options to change this IMC in my BIOS though (BIOS = ClickBiosII).
I'll get back here tomorrow because I'm quite tired now :p, thanks again for the help.

Your Memory is probably the problem as they are rated for 1.65v whereas the Integrated Memory Controller is rated to work with Memory rated for 1.5v.

Raising your DRAM Voltage above 1.58v is not recommended because it exceeds the specification limits of the Memory Controller Voltage to DRAM Voltage Ratio. The Default Memory Controller Voltage should be 1.05v and the Default DRAM Voltage is 1.5v. These two voltage are suppose to stay within .5v of each other. If you raise your DRAM Voltage to 1.65v then you should raise your Memory Controller Voltage to 1.15v to stay at the maximum limit, 1.2v would be safer but 1.2v is the Maximum Rated Limit (going to 1.2v or above can damage your CPU). Your Memory Controller Voltage will probably be called the VCCIO Voltage in your bios. I don't recommend playing with these voltages unless it's absolutely necessary. In your case I recommend buying a new kit of 1.5v rated DDR3 memory.

Ah thanks, small mistake at my part I'm guessing. Well now I have a new question, I'd keep on working with 4GB ram (1 stick, XMS3) will there be issues with that? I mean with RAM voltages and such.
Ofcourse I'll buy new RAM rated for 1.5v but in the meantime ^

The voltage requirements don't change if your running one stick, two sticks or four sticks.

It may work better with just one stick but the problem still remains. Will it hurt your system? Maybe not but it could.

Ok thanks alot to all of you :)

Hi again

I found the new RAM I'd buy but I'm not sure wheter that will properly work or not.

Vengeance®

the old ones were these, just to make sure
XMS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom