I have an
i7-2600 sandybridge
asus p8p67 motherboard
8gb (4x2GB) kingston ddr3 ram dual channel
corsair gs800
zotac gts250
creative x-fi xtremegamer
windows 7 ultimate

my problem is that my ram which is 8gb ddr3 is sometimes only recognized at 4gb. sometimes it will boot up and show all 8gb but most of the time it will be 4

I'm not changing anything in bios or anything and i dont know why this is happening please help!!

thanks for the replies i took it off my i3 540 which ram the 8gb fine

yes i am running 64 bit windows 7

its weird.... since it worked fine on my i3 which had dual channel ram as well hopefully its nothinbg with the motherboard?

Hi.. Can you check the following:
1. What does the BIOS say about your memory? If BIOS Says, 4GB, then nothing much we can do... That means Your Chipset supports upto 4GB.(You are using 64 bit OS doesnt make all 8GB available)
2. Which version of Widows 7 you are using? The memory that is usable is depenedent on the Chipset also. Please visit:Memory Limits for Windows Releases (Windows) Windows 7 Part for more details
3. As you are using 2 4GB Rams, it is also possible to be a loose connection for the second RAM.
Let me do more research on this for you.... You Plz check these first, lets see what best we can do...

Are you using the stock heatsink or an aftermarket alternative. Sometimes, when using an aftermarket cooler, all your memory won't be recognized if the cooler is tightened down to much. This happens because the cooler will warp the motherboard and this warping results in some of the memory contacts not making a good connection to the slots.

You can see some of the warping in this picture.
heatsink4.jpg

It's also warping the mobo from the opposite direction, but it's not as noticeable.
heatsink1.jpg

If your are using an aftermarket cooler try loosening it up a little.

thank you i made an error though i actually have 4x2gb ram

bios sometimes says 8gb and sometimes says 4. My motherboard and cpu supports up to 32gb RAM (4x8gb)

i use two different things to check my ram... speccy and the my computer properties.... sometimes they both say 4gb or 8 gb or one time speccy said 8gb and the my computer properties says 4gb....

I have windows 7 ultimate running.

i removed and put back the ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom