RAM not registering - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 07:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to Thane of Cawdor Send a message via Yahoo to Thane of Cawdor
Question RAM not registering

Hi, I recieved my new computer from Newegg yesterday and I finally have everything working except for the RAM. I've seen some posts about people having memory problems themselves, but I want to make sure that my problem is the same.
I bought with my computer 3x512Mb of Patriot RAM. When I put two of the 512 sticks of RAM into the 1st and 2nd slot, they work but when I add the 3rd stick to the 3rd slot only 512mb of ram is noticed. I also tried moving the 3rd stick to the 4th slot but that just gave me a start up error.
So basically I'm wondering if there is a driver I need to download or if I have to buy another 512 stick of RAM?

Thanks for helping

Old 12-30-2005, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Memberbot

The first thing to try is upgrading the BIOS. It could be a bug in the original programming.

The next thing to try is different RAM in different slots, to see if perhaps you have a faulty stick.

The last thing I would try before scrapping the 3rd stick or getting a 4th is to disable dual channel in your BIOS.

Intel E6750...........PSN: ELBATROP
XFX nForce 650i Ultra
Patriot PC2-6400 8GB (4x2GB)
eVGA 9800GT
36GB WD Raptor
120GB SG
1TB SG
Logitech X-530
Samsung SyncMaster 931c
Samsung SyncMaster 750s
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Old 12-30-2005, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to Thane of Cawdor Send a message via Yahoo to Thane of Cawdor
Default RAM not working

How do I disable the dual channel? Can I do that with uGuru or do I actually have to go into the BIOS?
If I have to go into the BIOS what do I look for?

I also can't test another stick of RAM right now just because I don't have any extras laying around.
When I test the RAM do I have to use the same company or just the same DDR SDRAM DDR400 PC3200 and 512 mb?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Memberbot

I dont mean to get another stick of RAM to test it. I just mean take your existing 3 sticks and switch around the slots that they are in, and perhaps even try all of them with just 2 at a time.

You have to go into BIOS to disable DC, if you can

Intel E6750...........PSN: ELBATROP
XFX nForce 650i Ultra
Patriot PC2-6400 8GB (4x2GB)
eVGA 9800GT
36GB WD Raptor
120GB SG
1TB SG
Logitech X-530
Samsung SyncMaster 931c
Samsung SyncMaster 750s
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Old 12-30-2005, 10:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default RAM

Oh, I've tried switching all the different RAM sticks and nothing happened but tommorow I will check the BIOS again for DC. I'd do it right now but I'm installing FEAR COD2 and all my Steam games again so I can't turn my computer off.
Closed Thread