RAM not listed on qualified vendor list

Status
Not open for further replies.

braz

Daemon Poster
I have the asus p5n-d and 4x 1gb crucial ballistix sticks. After over a year of trouble, I have RMAd the ram twice and just RMAd the motherboard and received my new one. here is the issue- if I have more than 2 sticks in, my pc has a TON of issues-slow internet, programs don't open etc etc... With just 2gb in, it runs fine. Today I found the qualified vendor list.... my ram is not listed anywhere on it. This entire time it has just been that my ram is not compatible... -.- <angry eyes. What i DID find compatible was this RAM: Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model KHX6400D2LL/1G

so do you guys think that was the issue? Should I get 4 sticks of that? I believe this may just have been the problem all along...

You'll be better off buying a 2x2GB kit.

Using all 4 memory slots strains the memory controller more than just using 2 slots. All the nForce mobo's I had ( a couple 680i's and a couple 780i's) would allow 2 sticks to run as "SLI Qualified". This allows high speed memory to run at their overclocked settings. If you buy PC2 8500 it's really PC2 6400 thats stable at a higher speed and then packaged and sold as PC2 8500.

But when I installed 4 sticks of memory it was no longer "SLI Qualified" and even though it was PC2 8500 memory it would no longer run at that speed without a large increase in voltage and slower latency timings.

And I have yet to buy a set of Crucial Ballistix that hasn't died.

I would buy these
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ

or these are even faster
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Trident 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBTD

so you think its not because its not on the list, its just because I should use only 2 slots? Also, those G skills are not on the list... would they probably work anyway?

I've never checked a qualified memory list. If a sample is submitted it's tested and placed on the list. If they don't have a sample it doesn't mean it won't work it only means they haven't tested it. And I've seen people that swear there ram is incompatible with a mobo when someone else is using the same ram and mobo. It's usually a user error or the motherboard needed a bios update.

hmm so in my case you would recommend getting that $89.99 set of Gskill and maybe throw my ram on ebay?

I would, or save the memory and use it to fix someones computer when you get better at working on them. That's what I do with my old parts if I can't sell them online.

Thanks for the help slaymate, appreciate it SO much. I think I'll go ahead and order the g skill tonight.
*UPDATE* Just ordered it, hope it works!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom