Ram/Motherboard issues - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 11:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Ram/Motherboard issues

Recently I built a computer using a ECS P35T-A LGA 775 Intel P35 motherboard and corsair XMS2 5-5-5-12 ddr800 6400 ram.

I was having some instability issues in windows, so I assumed it was the ram. Running memtest instantly causes the screens to blank and the computer to stall. Next in the BIOS I set my computer to do a long post to check the ram.

I put in each one of the sticks to all four slots on the motherboard with no issues, everything ran well including memtest. However, when I put the ram in dual channel mode in slots 1, 3 or 2, 4 the problems began again.

Before I buy another motherboard and RMA this one I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me for sure that its my motherboard thats defective and not some strange ram issue that I dont know of.

Thanks!

Old 02-08-2008, 02:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Ram/Motherboard issues

What is the voltage of the RAM? I had an issue with compatibility because the voltage of the RAM was too high. I could not get it to work unless I was using 1.8 voltage.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The motherboard only seems to be able to run ram stably at 1.9V. I have OCZ gold ram that i cannot use in this motherboard because it wont run at anything less than 2.0V

Anything other than 1.9V and the problems come up again. Also I cannot adjust timing or latencies on the motherboard due to the terrible ECS bios.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Odd, i have the exact same memory, and run it at 4-4-4-12 at 2.0v. Is it possible you just have a bad board?
Old 02-08-2008, 11:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by omintro View Post
The motherboard only seems to be able to run ram stably at 1.9V. I have OCZ gold ram that i cannot use in this motherboard because it wont run at anything less than 2.0V

Anything other than 1.9V and the problems come up again. Also I cannot adjust timing or latencies on the motherboard due to the terrible ECS bios.
Exactly. I had the same frustrating problem especially with corsair high Performance RAM. The motherboard was not the problem just the RAM. If you can only run stable at 1.9 volts then that is only what it will run. Unless you can actually find a way to tune the voltage. I had no luck tuning with my board.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I ran my corsair xms2's at 2.0v and had no issues with them.