Ram keeps falling out :) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Ram keeps falling out :)

Alright so i've had a barrage of pc issues over the last few weeks. Most of them stem from my Corrupt windows install disk.

I Bought a fresh copy of vista and everything was going fine until my pc crashed and wouldn't boot into windows.

I ran memcheck and got a pile of errors on test 3. I took out the ram, cleaned it, dusted the connectors and put it back in. Windows loaded up no problems.

Same thing happened again a week later. Windows crashed, i shut off the pc and pushed the ram into the MB and it booted up fine.

are my ram connectors damaged or is my MB not seating the ram right?

Would Putting the pc on it's side help ? Is that safe?

Yeah thanks for any help

I'm not computer savvy.. so i need help! pleasee!! I just need it to be under $1000, just the desktop no mouse/keyboard/monitor
Old 08-07-2008, 11:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Triforcer

Default Re: Ram keeps falling out :)

When you push the RAM into the slot are the white locks on each side into the RAM's slots and 90 degrees to the motherboard? It shouldn't keep falling out like that if the locks are properly in place.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to NightSurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvb724 View Post
When you push the RAM into the slot are the white locks on each side into the RAM's slots and 90 degrees to the motherboard? It shouldn't keep falling out like that if the locks are properly in place.
What he said. It can take some good amount of force to push the RAM all the way in and have the lock snap up in place. The locks are the white (or black) clips on both sides of the RAM slots.

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 08-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke

well like the other posters have said, the only reason for ram to fall out is the lock snaps not being..well..locked.
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Old 08-07-2008, 10:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

The locks are in place. I've pushed the ram in with full force. I keep getting ram related errors.

I turn my pc off and jiggle the ram a bit in the slot and it works again. I'm running my pc on it's side... See if that does anything.

I'm not computer savvy.. so i need help! pleasee!! I just need it to be under $1000, just the desktop no mouse/keyboard/monitor
Old 08-07-2008, 10:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Hello,

Have you run MemTest86 to make sure there isnt anything wrong with the RAM?

Cheers,
Mak

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 08-07-2008, 10:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak213 View Post
Hello,

Have you run MemTest86 to make sure there isnt anything wrong with the RAM?

Cheers,
Mak
Yeah the first time i got memory errors i ran memtest and i got tons of errors in the first test so i jiggled the ram in the slot and pushed it down, ran the test against 0 errors.

This keep happening.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

I just can't picture the clips being in place and secure and still allowing the chips to "jiggle" out. It simply doesn't make sense, physically. You're pushing these chips into place and hearing them *click* into place? And then what? They just pull right out? Without the clips breaking? They just release?

If that's the case, there are physical problems with the motherboard, RAM chips, or both. The chips are just not meant to fall out so easily.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie

Well i ran my pc on it's side and i still get BSOD related ram errors. I Tried changing the modules they sat in but i couldn't get 1 of my ram modules to fit so i'm running with 1 stick in a new slot. I Guess we'll see what this does.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I don't think loose RAM will create Memtest errors. The connections either create a connection with the motherboard, or they don't. Worst case scenario is either the motherboard refuses to boot completely, or you create a short circuit of some kind, and completely destroy the RAM and/or motherboard...

The RAM is most likely bad, not because of loose connection, but just straight from the manufacturer, or damaged through static discharge from you handling it so much.

I'd go borrow some different RAM, and try that to rule out the RAM, and move on to other components if you are still getting the problem.

Closed Thread