RAM issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

IT_N8

In Runtime
I was trying to change the RAM in a desktop and when i put in the 1GB stick it beeps and the diagnostic lights show a memory error. However if i put in 2 x 512 sticks then it works fine. When entering the service tag # on the Dell website it says it has a max memory of 2 Gb so the 1 gig stick should work. Ideas?

thanks,

Maybe that 1GB stick is bad. Can you try it in any other computers?

what do you have Bios set up for the frequency of the 512mb that worked and what is the mHz of the 1g? I had to eat some ram once helping my neighbor. I bought 400mhz and it needed to be 333.

Yeah i took another brand new GB stick out of another desktop that was the exact same and was working in that desktop and didn't in this one. What changes in the BIOS should i try making to get it to work yet still get better performance out of?

it would be under your memory timings but you might need to list the bios version and motherboard make to get better info from those in here that know more than I. Sometimes there is an option to chose between frequencies sometimes there's not. I believe CPUID will give you that info. Make sure to download the correct version according to your operating sys. 32 or 64 bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom