RAM issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I burnt it as a image file, like the instructions say to do.

Thanks for the link, btw. I'll let you know if it works.

Okay, the imgburn worked like Nero would not! Got it burned, and managed to boot from it.

I was intending to let it go for 8 hours, but after about 5, my computer shut down and did not restart(I have it set on automatic restart, so it should have done). All of the fans were still spinning though. I ejected the disc(cd drives still worked), and rebooted. So the results are a bit inconclusive.... but I am fairly sure that there were no errors found before this happened; I was keeping an eye on the test results. So what does this say about my stick? I think the stick caused the shutdown, even though there was no error report after I rebooted...

That's not to say that I didn't find anything out... According to Memtest, my memory was running at 177mhz(DDR355). CPU-Z says it's running at 266.7 mhz, and my BIOS says 533, but my stick is DDR2 667mhz, so it seems to be running slow. Do I need to flash my BIOS? If so, then what program do I need/ how do I do it?

I also saw that Spread Spectrum was turned on in my BIOS. My manual said to turn it off unless I had a problem with EMI(electromagnetic interference), which I don't believe I do, so I turned it off for "optimal system stability". Perhaps that will make a difference... it was off prior to my system crash, and it worked fine before then. Just an idea, not sure if anything will actually improve just from that. But I'll test it and see what happens.

Also, I was wondering what the odds are that this is some kind of driver issue? Seems like it's a possibility...

I really don't want to run memtest again given that it almost killed my RAM... is there anything else I can try? Is there something else that may be causing this?

Thanks.

Memtest won't "kill" your RAM. Seeing as running Memtest has nothing to do with the Windows environment (it basically boots into its own Operating System to test the RAM), it shouldn't be a driver issue. If it rebooted while running Memtest...then either your motherboard, CPU, power supply, or RAM is bad. Try running Memtest again, and see if there are any errors under the column listed 'Errors' when you boot into Memtest. If there's any errors at all, then your RAM is bad and you need to replace it.

Okay, my comp won't boot at all now. And my RAM is fine, I have it another computer now. Its not the cpu either, cause I switched it out. Its not the PSU; same deal. This is the exact same thing that my previous mobo did, and now this one is doing it to. Two defective mobos? I doubt it seriously... That tells me that my other mobo is probably fine, and that I wasted money getting a replacement.

The guy at the repair shop I called said to disconnect everything that doesn't make the computer start, like the HDD, the optical drives and my card reader, and just try to get into BIOS. If that works, then I can plug things back in until I find the problem. If that doesn't work, then I'm pretty much screwed unless I can do a system restore point somehow. If I get a new stick it may give me enough time to do that. If that doesn't work, then its a mystery, and I'll to spend hundreds having the repair guys run a diagnostic on it.

Well, time to try and find the ghost in my machine.... wish me luck. Chime in if you have any ideas, cause I am running out.

Well, I have determined that it is not hardware related. Taking things out made no difference- so it looks like there is nothing wrong at all, except my board, which is apparently, junk. It can't be a software issue, so I guess I really did have a second mobo failure in a month- unbelievable.

For the record, my board is an MSI 945GCM478- 7536. DO NOT BUY IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom