ram failure? or motherboard fried? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 06:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default ram failure? or motherboard fried?

asus as7333 motherboard
athlon 1.67 ghz processor
windows xp sp2
512 mb ram

I made an idiotic stupid mistake. I attempted to add ram to my computer without knowing if it was the proper stick or not. I attempted to boot it after installing the ram and I got nothing but beeps from my motherboard. I figured it wouldn't work. I removed the ram and rebooted. My motherboard continued to give me steady beeps and would not boot. I reseated my original ram and plugged everything back in and hoped for the best. Now my computer will not boot, and does nothing but give me a steady beep. I tried unplugging power to motherboard and plugging back in, removing battery and plugging back in.It will not boot. CAn anyone tell me what I destroyed and how I can get my computer running again? Thanks.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: ram failure? or motherboard fried?

The first thing to do there is make sure the memory is seated down properly and not lifted in the slot. If you mishandled the original memory you have damaged it but not having the meomory seated properly would easily cause the alarm beeps to sound.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
I know <html>, do you?

Send a message via AIM to SYL\X/3K Send a message via Yahoo to SYL\X/3K

i agree something is unseated ur motherboard sounds good condition because its beeping, if it were to be dead then it would be silent, make sure your ram is clapped down with those two handles on both side. What kind of beeps does it give you, u may want to read this for more help POST troubleshooting steps.

.....:::::POST Troubleshooting Steps.___.My Rig.___.Memory Test:::::.....
Old 05-02-2007, 12:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Also, if the new RAM was incompatible withe the RAM slot, u mite have damaged the actual RAM slot. unlikely but possible. Try getting a freinds ram and installing that in your computer, and see if it boots then.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 05-02-2007, 01:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Also, if the new RAM was incompatible withe the RAM slot, u mite have damaged the actual RAM slot. unlikely but possible. Try getting a freinds ram and installing that in your computer, and see if it boots then.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 05-02-2007, 06:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'm going to but a new stick of ram today and try that. It makes no sense to me though cuz my original ram should still work right? The beeps I am getting are one short repetative beep over and over which suggests memory failure. I guess my original proper ram must have taken a dump. Anyone know exactly which ram I need to get? Would it be 184 pin pc 2100? I'm gonna look online now and try to figure it out. Thanks
Old 05-02-2007, 07:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Or just post a pic of the ram slots on the mobo.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

check my post about using the primary ram slot. (its on your other post of this same topic)
Old 05-02-2007, 11:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie

possibly try clearing the cmos then install the correct memory again?
Old 05-03-2007, 05:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Printed out mobo manual. States run is pins 2-3 and reset is pins 1-2. Tried inserting ram.... unplugging, removing battery, switching jumper, replacing battery, and rebooting. Same response from mobo. Intermittent beep spaced evenly which suggests memory failure right? What would my next step be? I tried with both my sticks of ram (one at a time) and one of them is brand new. Itried both in each of the three slots. Would my next step be to pull mobo and search for damage to ram slots? Anyone ?

Closed Thread