[RAM] 512 to 2Gb now loading takes forever...

Status
Not open for further replies.

brady

S e c u r e d
Ok so i updated my pop's machine from 512 to 2Gb of RAM. loading screen usually shows the XP logo with the loading graphic... That graphic cycles a couple times then the screen goes black. Monitor light still shows Green (connected), but blank black screen...

Couple minutes later (haven't timed it) you'll hear the HDD spool then the profile screen pops up with all 3 profiles available.

doesn't do this with the original 512 (2x256) sticks in the 1 & 3 slots.

Still does it with 1 Gb stick in the first slot.

Haven't been in the bios yet...

Haven't changed slot usage yet...

Not at the machine at the moment but will return later tonight.

Any suggestions?

Could be the voltage on the RAM? Could be that XP has not adjusted to the new RAM yet. Is it all recognized by the system?

I would check if the motherboard can handle that specific speed of ram. Also, go into to your bios and check if it is recognizing the full 2 gigs. So, you had 2x256 sticks in the 1st and 3rd slot and replaced each corresponding stick with a 1gigger? If so, this setup sounds correct, but I would also try moving the position of the sticks around.

Ok Bios sees the full ammount of RAM. Same speeds as the inital setup just much much more of it now. XP sees it... well, when i access the properties of the box it does indeed say 2Gb.

I am confused to say the least.

I would check if the motherboard can handle that specific speed of ram. Also, go into to your bios and check if it is recognizing the full 2 gigs. So, you had 2x256 sticks in the 1st and 3rd slot and replaced each corresponding stick with a 1gigger? If so, this setup sounds correct, but I would also try moving the position of the sticks around.

I have yet to try moving positions/slots... I think I will try this the next time i'm over there.

Thanks for the help all.

Maybe try a repair install? Run CCleaner and MSConfig cleanup?

I have had a issue like this with a computer very recently, I tried everything to get the computer running right up to re installing the OS in the end I had to clear the CMOS to get it to run right.

Try that.

Make sure the motherboard can handle the RAM in the configuration your in, also, if it is maxing out the motherboards capabilitys, sometimes it will slow down to the next highest clock speed that it supports. Also try running Memtest 86 for a bit and see if it spots any errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom