RAID setup problem and read error - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 09:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default RAID setup problem and read error

I am seting up a new computer and have two things I am curious about.
1). I have setup a RAID drive from two 150GB drives. When the computer boots it seems to read the drive correctly because when it scrolls past the loading screen it says it sees 1 275 GB drive.
However, when I run the windows installer it still sees two seperate drives. Is this correct? Can the windows installer see past the RAID or did I set it up wrong.

2)
The windows install wont continue. I formated a new partition and ran the first part of windows installer. It then needs a restart. I restart the computer, everything loads, and it says boot from disk. I let this run past so it boots from the drive (if I boot from the disk it just goes back to the first install and thinks I am trying to install another instance of windows). When the machine starts up the windows install again it says "disk read error" .
Could this be a problem with my harddrive or with the CD? Could the RAID problem above be causing it?

Old 05-12-2006, 04:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

you need to use the sata raid controller driver on windows setup , some mobos come with a floppy that contains it , if the mobo didnt come with one then youll probably find it on the mobo cd just copy to a floppy , alternativly you can integrate it with nlite http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html , anyway to use the floppy on windows setup click F6 about a second after it starts (when you see press f6 to install scsi/raid drivers at the bottom) after 2 mins it will ask for the floppy..

Old 05-12-2006, 04:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

So I have to use the CD/flopy from the MOBO to configure it before I install windows?
Old 05-12-2006, 05:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

you must use the sata raid controller driver in order for windows setup to identify it properly
you need to use the floppy while installing windows , as alredy said you need to press F6 after you see this message the bottom http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winx...ges/Image2.gif usally a second after it loaded , after 2 mins it will ask for the floppy..

alternativly you can integrate it with nlite then you wont need to use a floppy
Closed Thread