Raid set up troubleshooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majik16106

Solid State Member
I am trying to set up my first raid. I have a 120g SSD and a 1tb HDD. Im using a gigabyte MB and going through the instructions in the book, but when I check the volume size it says its 228gb. Went to the disk management menu and there is no option to extend the drive. Do I need to change something? It was set up in Raid0. I was thinking I could use them both as one giant HD, but maybe I am missing something simple?

MB: Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3h-b3
I was using the intel rapid storage technology software that it comes with.

In RAID 0, the 120GB SSD is your bottleneck. It cannot strip data across 2 different sized drives.

Why put an SSD with your platter drive, anyway? You are going to shrink the performance of that SSD. Put the OS on the SSD, and put the 1TB as storage/pagefile/programs.

I was doing that originally. had them set up seperately, but im not the smartest obviously. Every game i installed, went to the SSD where windows was installed. this computer is primarily for gaming/internet.

I couldnt figure out how to install games to the hdd, and leave the os on the SSD and have it all work since most games now autoinstall, or download digitally and windows wants the files attached to it on the SSD.

I ended up with a 1tb hdd with nothing on it.

So, I assume I can tell windows (installed on the SSD) to install everything else to the HDD but I dont know how to do that. I could put things like pictures there manually.

I was doing that originally. had them set up seperately, but im not the smartest obviously. Every game i installed, went to the SSD where windows was installed. this computer is primarily for gaming/internet.

I couldnt figure out how to install games to the hdd, and leave the os on the SSD and have it all work since most games now autoinstall, or download digitally and windows wants the files attached to it on the SSD.

I ended up with a 1tb hdd with nothing on it.

So, I assume I can tell windows (installed on the SSD) to install everything else to the HDD but I dont know how to do that. I could put things like pictures there manually.

Do it like I would and take your 1tb drive and break it down into 3 seperate partitons.
One for back up files and os back up images, one for the os to use for resource and the other to move programs into a seperate folder on the partition.

325gb's in size for each partition may do it, but figure out whats best for you.
I recommend you give acronis a try:

Hard disk drive management software, partitioning manager and partition recovery utility

Most games give you a choce of where to install it. I know steam has an option in preferences, of where to install the downloaded games.

I don't bother partitioning it, but I do have seperate folders for everything I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom