RAID Drive Degraded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curbkiddytech

In Runtime
One of my system drives set up on a RAID array failed and needs replacing. Now everytime I've set up RAID on computers I've used to identical sized hard drives for creating the arrays. I got on newegg to see if there was another 150 (149) GB Seagate Barracuda but it is no longer available. My question is if I get a 160 GB Seagate Barracuda will it work just fine?

Another question of mine is setting up RAID with hard drives from different manufacturers and even different sizes okay? Or do they always need to be the same brand and same size?

What RAID are you using? Sounds like 1 or 5.

A larger drive will work in a RAID. It just will only use 150GB of the 160GB. With capacity, I know it will default to the lowest capacity drive. For example, If you have 2 x 250GB and a 320GB, only 250GB will be used of the 320, you will have 70Gb that will not be used.

I do not think it matters between brands.

Okay thanks for the post, I was thinking it didn't matter but before I spent any money I wanted to be sure, and yes I'm running 2 RAID 1s or RAID 11. 2 Drives for the OS and 2 Drives for games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom