RAID array death?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will look at my manual before I say much more. Maybe I use the wrong term "rebuild" with RAID 0 but there is something similar I can do. I can't remember if my RAID is software based or fully hardware. Either way I seem to remember instructions in the manual for getting the data back if the array fails to appear.

Interestingly I just noticed today one of my slave drives fails to show. This is very odd and I wonder why Kaspersky can't spot a virus. I might do a full Windows reinstall.

Sorry I keep replying late I don't seem to get emails from this forum anymore.

Life !!!!!

HALLELUJA PRAISE BE!!!!!

I've fixed my RAID - AND - recovered all my data!

The problem was some crappy heatsink and fan combo I used for my BIOS, which I used to replace my noisy old one.

...turns out the new one was a piece of *&£$% and this afternoon actually fell off (it attaches via an adhesive pad...not good).

So I thought I'd put the old one back (fairly noisy but hey) and all of a sudden my RAID is back!

Lessons learned:

-Mobo RAID is useless as you have no frickin' clue what's going on with it (all along it kept telling me it was FINE).

-I need a proper cooling system for my BIOS; nothing major, just something that's quiet and does the job and won't fall off!

:D:D:D

I've been stuck with my tiddly 200GB drive and burn DVDs constantly to free up space. Not good when I've taken about 100 gb of photos over the past 12 months.
This afternoon a client (a national newspaper) wanted a photo and I was worrying it would be one that was stuck on my RAID. Luckily not.

PROBLEM SOLVED :)

haha, i saw this thread and saw that i had posted in it and was like wtf? when did this happen? lol. but then i realized it was this one and it all came back to me :D

glad to hear you got all your data back. at my work recently there was a kid who had a raid0 setup "die" on him. that was his story, actually he reformatted his pc and when we said that was the cause of the data loss he called us liars :D it was a fun time. anywho, we spent like 2 weeks on it, it was terrible, and then we just used a data program to get the data back and it worked, too bad i can't remember the name of it..

OH WELL! thats my story, so glad to hear you got your setup all back and running properly.

^^ I thought someone was going to wonder about this old thread :D

The guilty fan in question is "AKASA chipset cooler AK-210"

The website I got if at seem to have pulled it from their list, which they don't normally do so soon (8 months) after stocking it. DO NOT BUY THIS COOLER. The concept just does not work.

Peter, if I was the new kid at work and I'd managed to format my hard disk I'm not sure I'm come clean about it either :D
I saw a woman on her first day about 8 years ago in a design job (harder to get back then) put all the work she'd been working on in the trash can and delete it just before the deadline!

Another lesson I've learned:

-always make a note of temps/ speeds and keep a copy saved or printed somewhere safe, especially just before upgrading. My RAID died a few months after I got the new fan so presumably I just didn't notice the gradual temperature increase...

I feel so relieved. My next step will be to get a RAID controller card (which I know nothing about yet) then I can install Windows itself on the RAID drive and my system truely will be fast (in my terms! :D).

have you thought about just getting some raptors or getting some 7200.11 drives? lol. from what i hear there isn't a lot of difference in speeds. or i might be wrong....

i think budget was the issue i had back then. i have two 250gb hard drives making 500 gb in raid 0. i think that's cheaper than raptors but yeah it seems that would have been the sensible option! lol
i can't even remember what speeds these pair do, i just know they do stuff quick.
what are 7200.11 drives?
i'm pretty out of touch, these things only go in my short term memory just like homer :D

haha. its just the western digital drives. like its 7200 rpm, i don't quite know what the .11 is for, but i know that thier almost as fast as raptors. and some people (like nos) say that they don't notice a difference in speed between the two.

ah ok. is that what you have in your Gaming Beast :D
ah in an ideal world everyone would have RAID 0 raps

Well I've eliminated any reasonable chance of this being a chipset overheating issue. (see thread I made on chipset cooling- http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/need-better-southbridge-cooler-get-raid-array-back-online-173219/)
These are my temps-
temps250408.jpg

A quick look at Wikipedia explains that my mobo is just not that good, and basically probably has a bug issue with my particular hard drive pair (thanks, NVidia, really appreciate you losing my data for me)- nForce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Performance and Issues
The original nForce chipset was let down by patchy driver support and less than optimal hardware design. Performance of the dual-channel memory controller and "DASP" did not greatly surpass the VIA Technologies KT266A chipset that was usually as fast and cheaper. The optimized parallel ATA driver support was introduced and then withdrawn after hardware incompatibilities showed up, and the much heralded SoundStorm audio was seen to crackle under heavily loaded scenarios. In fact, the ATA driver would remain an issue at least into the life of nForce4 where it was still known to cause problems with some hard drives and optical drives.

Still, considering nForce was Nvidia's first foray into the chipset market, it was considered a success if only because it was able to be competitive on performance, reliability, and stability with veterans such as VIA, SiS, and Intel.

So now I have this generic SATA II controller card that controls RAID if you wish. Is this a good card, should I stick it up on ebay, are there branded cards that are better/ track record? Thanks

PCI Express - SATA II - 2 port with RAID - Aria Technology
bWFpbmltYWdlcy9DVFItU0FUQS1NMjc1LmpwZw==.jpg

Com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom