RAID array can't boot from SI 3132 SATA controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

miston

Baseband Member
I have the MSI K8N Diamond Plus, which has 2 SATA controllers, the Nvidia (4 ports) and the Silicon Image 3132 (2 ports)

I have 2 Raptors in Raid 0 and 2 WD Caviar RE2 WD4000YR in Raid 0.

When I first built the system I couldn't get the Raptors to boot from the SI controller, but they booted fine from the Nvidia. I couldn't figure it out, so I said f'it, I'm ready to install XP and see how fast this puppy is. This was about 6 weeks ago.

Well this weekend I finally got around to adding some extra fans and another hardrive cage to separate the drives. Well I forgot to note which controller was using which drives when I unhooked them, so I guessed, but I guessed wrong, and hooked up the OS drives on the Silicon and the storage drives on the Nvidia.

Well it still wouldn't boot, even after I confiured the bios to boot from the SI controller.

Any ideas? I didn't hurt the array by hooking them up to a different controller did I? I did go to each of the controller's menu and each array detected fine.

The message I'm getting is "Error loading OS"

yea, once I did that it worked fine again

But I had trouble getting XP to boot from the Silicon controller, but I forgot what all I tried.

if you setup the RAID on the nVIDIA controller for Windows, you can't use the SI for Windows. no, connecting the cables to the wrong controller wont hurt it, as long as you don't connect both ports on the same controller together. I will always put number one HD higher in the cage ,then two ,etc. so I always know wich is wich. You will have to reinstall windows on the SI controller if you want it to boot from that controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom