Raid 1 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

Daemon Poster
The raid 1 on my friends machine does not appear to be working correctly. When it starts up it looks for the raid and then when it finds it there is a message that says degraded on one and error on another. What does a person do to get this fixed? I am pretty sure that this means one of the hdd has gone sour. When I do replace it can I replace it with a larger hdd? There are 320 in there now but I would like to replace it with a 500gb or larger. I know that it will convert it to only a 320 but shortly I would like to replace that one with a 500gb also. Will that work? If I would put in a larger hdd let it rebuild and then put in a larger one to replace the one that is still good to get a larger hdd array? Thanks.

So, I can go in an put in a larger hdd and then put in a larger one later when the other one goes or there is a great deal on one? Great.

Yep. Degraded RAID means one drive has failed. You take that drive out, swap in the new 500GB one, rebuild the raid. Then you take out the next old hdd, swap in the next new 500GB drive, and rebuild the raid with both 500Gb drives installed.
Too easy mate ;)

I have placed the new hdd in and it shows it is a good hdd with the smart test. The problem is how do I rebuild it? There are no options anywhere to do this. It is a gigabyte board with an Nvidia nForce 570sli running it. When I go into F10 it gives me 3 choices of what to do but when I hit R for rebuild it just goes back. There is no other option any place that I can see to rebuild. WHAT do I do?

I am not at the computer at this time but when I hit F10 it takes me to a screen that has the two drives listed with one showing degraded and the other showing error. I click on the one with the error and it then takes me into another screen with just that disk with R for rebuild D for delete and c for clear. I hit R and it takes me directly back to the screen with the two disks again.

Ok, now I have a question on the hdd itself. Can I partition the hdd and then use the one part for the raid and the other for extra storage? Is that possible? Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom