RAID 0 sata hd's with issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwatc75

Baseband Member
I am running 2 identical Seagate HD's in RAID 0 with Promise FastTrack controller built into Asus P4C800-E Deluxe. Everything seems to be running ok; its recognizing new drives as one. Using Sandra's file system benchmark I got 71mb/s:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/shardpinoy/filesystemBMCdrive1.jpg
Image too large. Click link for image.

My question is why does it show a SCSI driver in device manager and not the sata drives I am using? Do I have the wrong driver loaded?

devicemanager.jpg

Also, it came with the "Promise Array Management Utility". Do I need to load that or would I just make more problems for myself?

No you're fine...Windows and specifically WHQL drivers associated with Windows were written prior to SATA developement therefore Windows doesn't include native SATA support which is why you have to go through the F6 driver installation when using SATA drives before installing Windows

And since Windows predates SATA devices and at the time the only similar high speed disk interface was SCSI, it associates any 3rd party drive interface driver as SCSI/RAID and does not specify SATA

Thanks Gaara, you da man. What about that "Promise Array Management Utility"? is that something I need to install to adjust settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom