RAID 0 Array Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephiro12

Beta member
Hello, I'm posting because I'm having an issue with my RAID 0 array.

Yesterday, when I was playing a game, the power suddenly went out. When it came back on, I tried to start up my computer, but it would not move past the motherboard logo screen. So, I took out the CMOS battery and put it back in. After switching the SATA settings back to RAID, the computer started to start up, but then went into a Windows recovery thing. Either that or it said it wouldn't boot and going into the recovery thing was one of the options, I can't remember.

Anyway, I tried letting Windows search for startup issues, which of course was entirely pointless. So, since my computer was still not booting, I chose one of the other options, "Memory diagnostic". Now, I would be more inclined to think this has something to do with the RAM, not my hard drives, but I noticed someone said "Don't let your computer do diagnostics on any single drive or it could mess up your RAID" in another thread.

So, I left my computer alone while it did that, and when I got back and tried to set it up, a problem was detected.

Originally, I had 2 "LD"s. One was the RAID 0 array, and the other was a 200 GB hard drive I use for backup (yes, most of my files are backed up). Now, however, there are three:
LD 1, 1 Drive, 640.13 GB (one of the hard drives in the RAID array)
LD 2, 1 Drive, 203.92 GB (The backup HDD)
LD 3, 2 Drives, RAID 0, 1280.92 GB, "Off Line".

So it's pretty much confusing that my computer is listing one of the drives in the RAID array as a separate drive and ALSO listing the RAID array.

Someone in another thread I read suggested that the person try deleting the RAID array and setting it up again, because this won't delete the actual data on the disks However when I attempt to do this it says "Press Ctrl-Y to delete the data in the disk!"

So, it would seem to me that if I delete it and set it up again, that might fix the problem, but I don't want to unnecessarily lose all my data. Also, I wouldn't know whether to delete LD 3, the RAID array, or LD 1, the mysteriously listed singular HDD from the RAID array.

Any suggestions?

As far as I know if you rebuild the array the data will be lost. With raid 0 it strips the data onto multiple disks so when the power went out is got caught in a spot where the two disks don't have the full data on them. I'm not sure if there is a way to rescue them maybe a more experienced member could help. I use raid 0 for my os but not my data because of the risk. I would rebuild the array and reformat if it was me but that may not be the best choice for you. I would wait for some more replys and see if someone knows how to rescue the array.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom