RAID 0 Array Problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Unhappy RAID 0 Array Problem

Hello, I'm posting because I'm having an issue with my RAID 0 array.

Yesterday, when I was playing a game, the power suddenly went out. When it came back on, I tried to start up my computer, but it would not move past the motherboard logo screen. So, I took out the CMOS battery and put it back in. After switching the SATA settings back to RAID, the computer started to start up, but then went into a Windows recovery thing. Either that or it said it wouldn't boot and going into the recovery thing was one of the options, I can't remember.

Anyway, I tried letting Windows search for startup issues, which of course was entirely pointless. So, since my computer was still not booting, I chose one of the other options, "Memory diagnostic". Now, I would be more inclined to think this has something to do with the RAM, not my hard drives, but I noticed someone said "Don't let your computer do diagnostics on any single drive or it could mess up your RAID" in another thread.

So, I left my computer alone while it did that, and when I got back and tried to set it up, a problem was detected.

Originally, I had 2 "LD"s. One was the RAID 0 array, and the other was a 200 GB hard drive I use for backup (yes, most of my files are backed up). Now, however, there are three:
LD 1, 1 Drive, 640.13 GB (one of the hard drives in the RAID array)
LD 2, 1 Drive, 203.92 GB (The backup HDD)
LD 3, 2 Drives, RAID 0, 1280.92 GB, "Off Line".

So it's pretty much confusing that my computer is listing one of the drives in the RAID array as a separate drive and ALSO listing the RAID array.

Someone in another thread I read suggested that the person try deleting the RAID array and setting it up again, because this won't delete the actual data on the disks However when I attempt to do this it says "Press Ctrl-Y to delete the data in the disk!"

So, it would seem to me that if I delete it and set it up again, that might fix the problem, but I don't want to unnecessarily lose all my data. Also, I wouldn't know whether to delete LD 3, the RAID array, or LD 1, the mysteriously listed singular HDD from the RAID array.

Any suggestions?

Old 07-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Re: RAID 0 Array Problem

As far as I know if you rebuild the array the data will be lost. With raid 0 it strips the data onto multiple disks so when the power went out is got caught in a spot where the two disks don't have the full data on them. I'm not sure if there is a way to rescue them maybe a more experienced member could help. I use raid 0 for my os but not my data because of the risk. I would rebuild the array and reformat if it was me but that may not be the best choice for you. I would wait for some more replys and see if someone knows how to rescue the array.
Pentium D 935 @ 4.0ghz
AsRock g31
Kingston HyperX T1, 4gb
Radeon HD 5670 @ 860mhz gddr5
Antec High Current Gamer 520
InWin Br665 matx
CyberPower Green CP1500 900W UPS
Acer 20" G205hl
Camera Canon PowerShot SX10is
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
1) Be Respectful Treat other members as you would have them treat you. This means no flaming, insulting, or belittling other members.
Closed Thread