Radeon VPU not responding to driver commands

Status
Not open for further replies.

euchrid

Baseband Member
I posted about this already a few days ago, but I've discovered a few new things that are going on and wanted to get them all in the same place. Apologies if it annoys anyone or breaks any forum rules.

I'm having an issue with my PCI-E Radeon x800 XL. It started after I removed and replaced the card to do some unrelated maintenance. After the machine had been on for a few minutes, running nothing more stressful than Firefox, I experienced severe onscreen artifacts followed by a message from Catalyst stating that the VPU was not responding to driver commands, and had to be reset. I restarted the machine, like it asked, only to have it happen again almost immediatly.

It's definately a problem with the card, because another x800 which I borrowed from a friend works perfectly. I originally thought that it was a heat problem due to the artifacting, but the new card has a much smaller fan and works perfectly.

I've tried reinstalling the drivers, reducing the amount of hardware acceleration, turning off the VPU Recover program and disabling Write Combining, all without any change. It's also been suggested that I turn off Fastwriting in the BIOS, but I can't locate it - I have a Biostar I91PL-A7 motherboard.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom