Quiet Microphone - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Web Programmer

Default Quiet Microphone

i have 2 microphones (a headset and a self-standing microphone), a Soundblaster Audigy sound card, and an integrated sound card from nvidia. every combination ive tried leaves me with barely audible microphone, both in windows, in steam, in ventrillo and on teamspeak. what the **** could this possibly be?

Web Developer Portfolio
Old 08-20-2007, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Quiet Microphone

did you check mic volume?

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 08-20-2007, 12:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Check the MIC setting for Dolby or digital setting in sound card properties. May be a jumper on the SBlaster card as well . Some connection ports are labled digital . Try a condesent mic , the kind that often come with a computer , some things to look at anyway .
Asus P8Z68-V Pro / Gen 3
8 GIG Corsair Vengeance
eVGA GTX 570
SB Audigy2 Platinum
Kingston Hyper X120 SSD
WIN 7 - 64b
LG Blue Ray Super Multi Burrner
Logitech THX Z560
3x120mm - 1x200 mm case fans
Old 08-20-2007, 01:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Web Programmer

yes yes ive tried every pssible setting in XP and the sound driver, and everything for mic is maxed out.

Web Developer Portfolio
Old 08-20-2007, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

is there a volume controller on the mic itself? It's usually on the cord going to the pc.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Web Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by midn1gh7 View Post
is there a volume controller on the mic itself? It's usually on the cord going to the pc.
seriously, what the ****? do you think i wouldn't have thought of that? give me some credit, i didn't come on these forums to learn how to use a computer, only to learn about them.

anyway ive just gone on teamspeak and ive found its EVEN QUIETER than anywhere else! all i can hear is a distorted little noise when i record myself.

Web Developer Portfolio
Old 08-22-2007, 07:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

hey, sometimes even the experts miss little things. Just like in office space, Micheal got a decimal point wrong and ****ed them over. So I'm just suggesting things. Make sure it's plugged in all the way, if there are drivers update them if updates are available. And in ts/vent go to the options/setup respectively and up the volume for the outbound connection.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to CrazeD Send a message via MSN to CrazeD

Buy a new microphone.

Turn mic boost on.

Intel Q9400 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3P | G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1000 | XFX HD5870

Need website help? PM me!
Closed Thread