Questions about uninterruptable power supplies

Zefrik

Solid State Member
My computer has been shutting down without any warning lately. I have done a lot of trouble shooting and I cannot seem to figure out what it is. I don't get a blue screen or any messages or error popups so I don't have much to go on. I have been monitoring my CPU, GPU, and Motherboard temperatures and everything seems fine.

Today I had my speakers on and some music playing, I went to flip a light out and my speakers made a weird noise. The noise was kind of like a pop and a hiss. I am wondering if my problems could be with inconsistent power being sent to my PC. I know you should have a PC on an uninterruptable power supply (UPS) but I have always put it off because they can be a bit expensive. But my computer is also too expensive to replace so I am willing to get a UPS to try and save my computer.

I have never purchased a UPS before so I have some questions...

1.) Do I need to get one that has a power rating (Ex:750watts) at or exceeding my PC's PSU?
2.) Or could I get a cheaper one (Ex:300watts) and have it "condition" the power to my PC?

Option 2 is fine.

You'd want a higher wattage one if in the event of a power failure, you had ample amount of time to actually shut it down safely or restore power. If you're just filtering power, though...you can get by with a lower-rated UPS.

Back
Top Bottom