Questions about uninterruptable power supplies - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Old 01-06-2015, 01:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Questions about uninterruptable power supplies

My computer has been shutting down without any warning lately. I have done a lot of trouble shooting and I cannot seem to figure out what it is. I don't get a blue screen or any messages or error popups so I don't have much to go on. I have been monitoring my CPU, GPU, and Motherboard temperatures and everything seems fine.

Today I had my speakers on and some music playing, I went to flip a light out and my speakers made a weird noise. The noise was kind of like a pop and a hiss. I am wondering if my problems could be with inconsistent power being sent to my PC. I know you should have a PC on an uninterruptable power supply (UPS) but I have always put it off because they can be a bit expensive. But my computer is also too expensive to replace so I am willing to get a UPS to try and save my computer.

I have never purchased a UPS before so I have some questions...

1.) Do I need to get one that has a power rating (Ex:750watts) at or exceeding my PC's PSU?
2.) Or could I get a cheaper one (Ex:300watts) and have it "condition" the power to my PC?

Zefrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker
Default Re: Questions about uninterruptable power supplies

Option 2 is fine.

You'd want a higher wattage one if in the event of a power failure, you had ample amount of time to actually shut it down safely or restore power. If you're just filtering power, can get by with a lower-rated UPS.

Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Questions about uninterruptable power supplies

Thanks for the fast reply!

I was hoping that was the case.
Zefrik is offline   Reply With Quote

brownout, power, psu, ups