Question regarding GPU temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaskTool

In Runtime
I was wondering if it's normal for a GPU temp to increase within a span of like a week.

The card went from running at 34C idle when I first got it to running at 51C idle as of right now.

I am simply asking because of the 2 4870's that I had to RMA because of them dying, and one of the main characteristics were really high idle temps and even more insane load temps.

This card is a 5830 though and it seems like it might have a better heatsink/fan/cooling design.

Another thing to note is the extreme lack of fans in my PC. i basically only have one fan in my pc, so the temperature of my room will probably influence the temp of the card I assume?

Is 51C idle normal? and under load what is the highest temp it should reach? I really want to make this card last, which is why I am a little afraid of jacking up the fan speed because I want the fan to last as well.

What's the temp of your room? With summer getting warmer, if your room/house is warm, yes it will affect your components, especially if you don't have proper ventilation.

51C is getting high, but not bad. GPU's are pretty safe up to around 80-90c, if I remember right. I would look into trying to cool your room down, and getting some better airflow through your case (maybe crank up the GPU fans as well, with something like EVGA Precision).

Ya. I noticed when the AC kicked on my GPU temp gradually went down to 50C.. to 49 C.. to 48C. I then looked away for like 30 mins to an hour and checked it again and it was at 39C

Strange really, for it to drop that extremely.

I'll def look into getting another fan for my case. Forgot to mention I might have bumped up the fan speed slightly on the card. Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, more fans will definitely help with the internal temperature, my computer has 3 fans inside, 2 anre kinda small, but I have a larger fan in the back, all of my components usually max out to 40-50 C when playing Crysis.

Glad to know that's what the source of your problem was. Summer can be a real female-dog for computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom