Question about power supplies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingAustin

Daemon Poster
At the moment, my gaming computer is on the fritz (mobo died) so while I'm getting it replaced I'm using my old dell. The PSU on the dell has 225 watts. I dont want to switch the PSU's if I dont have to, but is that enough power for me to install my ATI x800pro in the dell? Other things connected to it is a cd drive, cd-rw drive, a gig of ram (dont know how much power ram takes, but figured I would mention it) and audigy 2zs sound card.

Will it hurt anything if it doesnt have enough power to use it?

No!!! Switch out the PSU even if you have to hang it outside the case until the new mobo comes. you may end up damaging that expensive video card!!!!!!!

RicoDirenzo said:
No!!! Switch out the PSU even if you have to hang it outside the case until the new mobo comes. you may end up damaging that expensive video card!!!!!!!

What would cause it to become damaged though?

If the PSU cannot properly provide the necessary current for that card, the GPU can overheat and damage the Video card, the CPU and mobo!!!

OK, so just for shits and giggles, I installed my x800pro with my 225 watt PSU and unplugged a CD-ROM to maybe give it a little extra wattage to use and it worked. But to be on the safe side, I went ahead and swapped the PSU's. I had to get a little creative though since the PSU didnt fit the I/O board of the dell and the square 4 pin connector that goes to the mobo was a little too short to reach it's spot when the PSU was on top of the case, so I had to twist it sideways and set it outside the case. You would all get a kick out of the setup :-D

I had that card in my system with a 350 watt PSU. the PSU fried after 30 mins of playing Battlefield 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom