A question about hardware configuration - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2007, 03:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to clb206
Default A question about hardware configuration

Hello all. I'm new to these forums, and wasn't sure if this board is where this topic would go, but it did seem the most correct, so bear with me...

I had a simple question about hardware configurations.

I have just recently bought a Compaq Presario laptop, which has a 1.8ghz 64-bit AMD Turion processor, a 128mb ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 200, and 384mb of ram.

The desktop I already own is an AMD Sempron 2200+ which is 1.5ghz 32-bit, it has 384mb of ram as well, and has an NVidia GeForce FX 5500 256mb video card. I have the latest drivers for both machine's video cards, and both seem identical in hardware configurations.

My question is this... What are some causes for my desktop to run slower, more jagged almost, and to be in general, just not as good as it should be? I understand that by no means is it a high-end machine, but it seems to me it should run things better. For example, running a LAN game of WarCraft III on both machines, the laptop stays at a sharp 28-31 FPS during large scale combat, while my desktop, with a superior graphics card, slows to a stagnant 2-5 FPS, viewing the same thing.

I have also noticed performance decreases while running Halo, Maya, Morrowind and even windows itself. I have checked for spyware and viruses, using a number of programs, but all searches have come up negative. What are some possible causes? And what are some solutions?

P.S., my laptop runs just about everything fine, except for lowered video settings in Halo, StarWars Battlefront II, and Maya. (Which is strange, because I've noticed that Morrowind actually handles higher video settings on my laptop than on my desktop.)

Old 03-28-2007, 06:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Re: A question about hardware configuration

Its possible your desktop has too many startup processes go to start>run and type msconfig. Then go to the startup tab deselect everything except your firewall and anti virus and click ok. It should then restart your pc see how the game runs then.

I would also defragment your hard drive(s), go to my computer right click on c: or whichever and choose properties then choose tools and defragmenting.

I would also try uninstalling your graphics card drivers and reinstalling them, also update your motherboard chipset drivers too if possible.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to clb206

Okay, I will try that! Thank you for the help
Old 03-28-2007, 08:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Also your a little short on ram for windows XP you should have at least 512mb.
I use 1 gig and it makes a big difference.
Closed Thread