Q6600 running slow - WHY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pass_time_player

Solid State Member
So i recently purchased the Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q6600 and the Intel® Desktop Board DG33TL for my existing machine. It was previously running a Intel Dual Core processor (not sure the exact model) with 3GB of memory (2GB Corsair DDR2 PC5300 Kit and 1GB of cheap DDR2 PC4200). I had Vista Ultimate as the OS. The computer at the time ran great no problems at all. Well after installing the new MoBo and CPU, Reformatting the Hard drive, using only the Corsair Memory and installing all the correct drivers and performing updates my computer is actually booting slower, accessing files slower and running overall slower. I know that with a decrease in the amount of memory there was going to be a slight decrease in performance but this is completely unacceptable. I am literate in computers but not a wiz by any means. if anyone has any tips, suggestions, or info please let me know cause i am just about to say done with it and go back to the previous setup.

You could try putting the other RAM stick back in, if possible; just to see if that works or not. You could also try applying Vista SP1 (just came out yesterday; don't know if you updated to SP1?).

just updated to SP1 and there is still no difference. i can't reuse the old 1GB of RAM cause the MoBo doesn't support anything lower then PC5300.. its really getting irritating now. Now could it be my hard drive going bad? My computer hasn't froze or anything but could that be the issue. and is there a diagnostic tool i can use to check??

It could be but it sounds like it's more of a problem with your RAM. The Q6600's FSB runs at a much higher frequency than your RAM is running at. You should try out some PC6400 (or 800MHz in terms of speed) and see how it runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom