PXE-E61 error

zajjiow

Beta member
I have an Acer Aspire 5741, and it ended up getting knocked onto the ground, and then it gave me the PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable message. At the time, in the setup menu, it wouldn't even recognize my harddrive. Therefore, just to make sure it was a harddrive problem, I put the harddrive from my friends laptop into mine and it worked, and put my harddrive into his, and it didn't work. So I went out and bought a new harddrive, which is recognized in the boot priority order tab of the setup menu, but it still gives me the PXE-E61 message.

You need to format the drive and install you favorite Operating System (Windows?) on it
If you disable boot to lan in the bios, you won't get that PXE error, just another error stating no bootable devices found

Looks like that's what I need to do. Only problem is, all the walkthroughs I can find online seem to be for re-formatting, i.e. opening up programs to start the formatting. Other than the setup menu, I can't open anything. Do I need a specific Windows installation disc to start the formatting?

You need to boot off of a Windows install disc.

Do you have your recovery discs? If not... What version of Windows do you have a key for?

There should be a sticker for a Windows 7 key on the bottom of your laptop (or under the battery, or one of the compartments).

Edit: According to the specs of your laptop, you had Win7 Home Premium.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/win...-digitalriver-windows-7-sp1-13-languages.html

Get the Win7 x64 Home Premium ISO from there. Burn it to a disc and boot off of it on your laptop and it should recognize your HDD so you can format it from the install menu.

Back
Top Bottom