Putting old HD in new comp - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2009, 05:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Putting old HD in new comp

well my old comp blew up and today i got a new one but i want the files from my old HD, but im scared of doing something bad seeing as the HD i want files from has an OS installed, im sure putting them both in at once wouldnt be a good idea, but i dont know how else to do it,

would the slave/master drive work with this or?

Old 02-16-2009, 05:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: Putting old HD in new comp

It's fine. Just put the old HDD in the new computer, and make sure the jumper pins on the old HDD are set to slave.

Welcome to Tech Forums!

Old 02-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

any other oppinions? just dont wanna mess up my new comp thats all

ah so hard for an easy answer =\
Old 02-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

You won't mess up your new computer. It's really simple i've done it many times, and on the good side you have another hard drive now if you want to format it and have a back up drive or something for music or whatever you are into.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Yes just slave the drive. From there you will be able to access the files you want just fine. Granted if you are on Vista you might have a permissions problem. But that can be resolved easily.

I have installed several hard drives into my machine since i bought it and never had any issues.
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 02-19-2009, 07:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Yee Ol' Salt

put your second/old drive in your new PC, if it's an IDE drive make sure you have it jumpered correctly, (refer to your HD manufacturer's web site) and then make sure in your bios that the correct HDD is in the first boot device setting.

here is how I have mine always set.

First boot Device = CD/DVD ROM

Second boot Device = HDD 0 (my main boot HDD)

Third boot Device = HDD 1 (Storage drive) or you can point this to your CD/DVD rom again, to avoid any problem to receive an missing NTLDR error if first 2 devices fail to boot from.

Find my post helpful? IF so please rate me by clicking the green check mark under my avatar.

:D Antec 300|M3N72-D|AMD PHM II X3 BE 720 3.0ghz (CodeName "Heka")|OCZ Stealth Xtreme 600w|2 two gig OCZ DDR2 1066 gold 4 GB of Ram|BFG-GTX 260 512||Samsung 42" Plasma| XP x86 sp3 /Vista x386 and x64|
The face I make everytime I'm on my machine :eek:
Closed Thread