Purple Pixelating during gaming - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Old 06-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Purple Pixelating during gaming

Hey guys, hope this is the right sub-forum to post this.

I recently build my own computer in the beginning of this year and ive loved how it performs and runs, but lately (about a month now) every now and then I play this game League of Legends I get this odd problem where my screen locks and everything turns purple, I can somewhat make out what things are but its just all distorted. My cursor can move and everything but a Ctrl+alt+del wont fix it and im forced to hard reset my computer.

Here is a picture of my screen taken from my phone.

my computer specs are as follows
Processor - Intel core i5 2500 3.3ghz
Ram - 8gigs x2 4gig Crucial ballistix
Mobo - ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Graphics card - EVGA gforce GTX 560 1gig 256bit PCI express 2.0x16
PSU - Coarsair 650w
HD - 1TB 7200rpm

Lukse17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker
Default Re: Purple Pixelating during gaming

What are your temps while playing it? Check to see what your GPU and CPU temps are. Your GPU is probably overheating.

Also, have you tried updating your drivers? Bad drivers can also cause artifacting.

Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: Purple Pixelating during gaming

That is most definitely a serious case of artifacting, carnageX pretty much hit the obvious causes; your first test should be to try upgrading (or perhaps downgrading if this occurred after an update) your graphics drivers. Download Furmark, run that and monitor your GPU temps and report back. The other possibilities are a poorly seated card (this includes dust/debris in the slot causing a poor connection) and an unstable power supply (ensure you have any auxiliary power connectors attached).
Visit my website - nitestick.net
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Nitestick is offline   Reply With Quote