pulling my hair out

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtybird

Beta member
my mom's base model dell started turning itself off whenever she turned it on. it would boot, get to the desktop, and then shut off. so far i have replaced the power supply, reseated the memory, replaced the heat sink fan. now it's not turning on at all. i have the side off so i can see what's going on. there is a small green led light near the processor that is always lit. when i hit the power button, there is a red led light that turns off and turns off in less than a second. the heatsink fan turns like its starting up, and then just stops. it seems like a power thing, but im not sure since i replaced the power supply already.

another weird thing, when she first brought it over, i reseated the memory, and it powered up and i was using it all day like normal. i let it sit for a couple weeks while i was on vacation. came back to hook it up and now it's doing this.

any ideas?

did you isolate what the original problem was? I guess it was the CPU fan not working causing the CPU to overheat?

I'm guessing the motherboard/CPU are damaged by heat from the CPU fan not working. maybe you could take out the CPU and look for any obvious damage?

Unfortunately it does currently sound like you have motherboard damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom