PSU reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

wicked23

I know things...
I got a reading of 5.76 on the 5vsb rail( i believe normal is 4.75 -5.25), would that cause a pc not to turn on? Well the HDD fire up but not the mobo. I'm still digging around to find a spare psu to throw in there but maybe i'll get an answer quicker here.

I know that the voltages can be slightly higher, but I don't know about being that high. Sorry, just don't know if that would cause the PC not to turn on. Maybe your mobo manual could help, if you check the specs it will accept. Is it an ATI PSU, or an older one? They are different. Just grasping at straws here.

It's an ATX psu buy i don't think that's the whole issue anymore.

After adding a new psu it fired up and i shut it down. Then it would not fire up again.
I took out the board, psu, and hdd and put it on the table. then i noticed the corner of the bracket that holds the heatsink to cpu was broken and it was extremely hot.

Now i believe it is overheating, and i know once temps get too hot the pc will shut down. But does that work in reverse, will a too hot pc not turn on till it reaches desired cooler temp?

I am waiting 2 hrs and going to radio shack to try and get a bracket will post afterward.

Hello wicked23,

You conclusion is correct. If a PC is too hot when you try to turn it on it will not boot. If it is still above the desired threshold of temp ranges it will attempt to turn on but shut down almost instantly.

So after it shuts down from being to hot do you get any kind of power running to it for even a second or 2 before it doesnt do anything? If so that would be why. If not then i would think that you could have some damage. I have fried a mobo and CPU by not having a heatsink mounted properly before. That was a nice $1,000 mistake.

Cheers,
Mak

Couldn't get part so i put in new mobo and it fired right up. So fortunately i diddn't kill the cpu. And it's been running for a half an hour and not even a 1/4 the temp is was before when on for 5 minutes.

So now the guy tells me he plugged a laser printer into his ups with his pc and he seen a spark. And he opened the pc to try and start it with a screwdriver by jumping the pins( my fault I showed him the trick when he had a faulty switch). Now i'm thinking he shorted the board somehow, broke the heatsink bracket, and the overheating killed the board.

Oh well new board solved everything. You can close this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom