PSU puzzler, lost my DVDRW . . . . . . .. .

Status
Not open for further replies.

cephalopoid

Solid State Member
I have a 400w Antec power supply. My question is this:
Is there too much stuff running off of it right now?
List of hardware:

ASUS NForce A7N8X2 MoBo
AMD Athlon 2600+
Generic DVDRW 16x
ATI Radeon AIW 9800 128mb
Seagate 160 GB HDD
Seagate 300 GB HDD
Wireless network card.

So the reason I'm asking is that my computer is chugging along lately. AND just very recently when turning on my comp, 1 of 2 things will happen:
My bios, at startup, likes to either says, yes, you do have a DVD drive and no your 9800 is not hooked up (resulting in red warning screens and beeping)
or
no, your DVD drive is not hooked up (though it is) and your computer runs fine.

Resulting in that my DVD drive appears to not have any power to it.

Also, one more thing to add. Once my desktop suddenly went ape, (everything went pink and yellow) like I OC'd my poor little 9800 to 450mb (no OC software on my comp.) I say POOP really loud and shut my machine off, expecting a fire to come roaring out. I saw that one side of the power connector coming from the PSU to the video card was brown, like it was burned. I pulled that cable, hooked up a new one . . . and now the recent problems have started.

Any ideas? Checked and double checked that everything is in place. Ran Asus probe, and nothing is overheating.

Oh yeah, built my rig from scratch almost 2 years ago.

So you replaced the wires from the power supply how did you do this? Did you splice it or was it a extension plugged into another plug? I would suspect that its your power supply with the problem you say you had. If something burnt then and it wasn't shorted on some metal then I would think something is jacked up. You can buy a tester for real cheap to test the PSU. Also a 400 w power supply should be pleanty to run your rig. If its not screwed up.

Thanks for the reply. My PSU has multiple plugs to power HDDs and cards and such. No splicing required. If 400w is plenty for my rig, why do people spend $$ for 500-650w PSUs.
I guess I'll try a tester.
What could make a PSU suddenly go wonky? I got my rig hooked to a surge protector . . .

Ok, so check this out:
Went and got a new 400w PSU and hooked it all up in my PC. Guess what! BIOS still didn't find the DVDRW, and, there was still no power to it (tested by pressing eject button to open it).

HMMMM.

So, I completely disconnected my HDD's and turned my PC back on. BIOS still found nothing, no DVDRW.

So, I tried one more thing. I kept the power chord on the DVDRW but disconnected the IDE cable, and guess what! Power to the DVDRW, I could open it!

What would cause this? Why is the fact that my IDE cable hooked to my DVDRW making it not work or have power????

Ah, I tested that by plugging the IDE cable from one of my HDD's into the DVDRW . . . and same thing . . . no worky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom