PSU problems.. I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jyibe

Solid State Member
Ok.. I will press the power button.. One system beep (this has happened every since I got my computer).. and then bam power dies. After trying several times It will work.. and it will work just fine games and all. I recently changed the power from the vid card to a different place and that's when I started experiencing this problem.. So I switched it back and same problem. Also I get a "Starting in fail-safe mode" Message on the Post screen.. Note: I didn't access the post screen it just pops up.
Is this a power supply problem or Could I check other things to have this resolved?
Thanks.

Sorry. Knew I was missing something :p

Windows XP SP. 2
AMD fx-53 939pin
Abit AV8 mobo
pny nvidia 6800GT
1gig Corsair Ram

what else do you need that I could open the case to check?

Ok it mit be which most times its the psu is to weak, Did you buy another psu or are you using one that case with a case. And how many watts is it. Also make sure all your driver are up to date. But its the psu mostly like you are going to have to get a new and better one.

PSUs that come with the case and therefore are generic is a NO-NO for a PC like that.

Also, speaking about power issues many people often overlook the need to buy adequate power protection when putting together or buying their PCs. Power surges can damage parts instantly or degrade them overtime.

People who have unexplainable restarts, reboots, or general weird problems that cannot be isolated to an internal PC component might just be victims of power spikes and surges.

Well, it was monsoon season a few weeks ago and we had some lightning pretty close but my computer was always turned off.
I bought an upgraded PCU w/ the case.. it's 500 watts not sure on brand.. do you need that?

even with the pc off, surges can damage it. you need to unplug it really.

Any Word on the aspire 500 watt for my pc? I just found a website w/ great prices on pcus.. tigerdirect.com.. I might buy one. What's a good brand of pcu?

joshd said:
even with the pc off, surges can damage it. you need to unplug it really.

That is why people should consider investing in UPS or power surge protectors that protect PCs and electronics all the time.

But this post is correct, even if you turn off your PC as long as it is not plugged into a UPS or surge protector it can still be damaged.

Anyhow, a 500W PSU should have enough power to run that system without flaws. Put in another PSU and see what happens. If it still behaves like that then at least you know the problem is not the PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom