PSU Problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrothrillah

In Runtime
So I pulled some old parts and whatnot out of the closet (all new parts that were just never used) and I have come across some problems. I dressed the motherboard (placed CPU, heatsink, RAM, fans...etc) in the case plugged in my 20pin power source as well as the EZ plugs and I am getting nothing but a green light on the mobo whenever I turn the power on. No fans come on or nothing. Below are the list of parts I am using:

2 x CORSAIR 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
1 x AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
A8R-MVP Motherboard
400w PSU - (not sure of brand)

"dressed the motherboard" made me giggle. :lol:

Is that a 20 or 24 pin? did you put in the 4-pin? (if it has one)

Try running with one stick of RAM only.

Yeah it's either a 20 or 24 pin, but it's hooked up and I haven't tried running only one stick. And yeah the four pin plug is also connected. I would think it'd at least power the fans and whatnot.

Connected a power switch to the board, it will only jump the fans a little bit and then will do nothing unless I turn the PSU off and back on.

I'm not sure if maybe the mother board has a short in it or what. I've nearly racked my brain over messing with this thing.

Nope, PSU fan won't even come on. It's acting like a short is in it somehow being that it is only bumping the fans if I hook up a power switch to it.

Just jumped green to black with a wire, it's now running the fan after a few hits. I plugged the PSU back to the mobo and it's now running the fans a little bit longer, but not very long.

Of course now I am running the motherboard outside of the case on my desk.

EDIT: To clarify that garbage, the jump test works, it fires up the fan on the CPU, but after plugging in the main power cord to the motherboard, it cuts out after maybe 3-4 seconds of running. Maybe a short in the mobo?

Also to note, that I have a power switch end cut off and wired together because the motherboard will not come on even a little bit like it is doing now unless I have this dummy switch set up.

Try swaping a different PSU onto the board, I wanna think the PSU is shot because of this.

Just jumped green to black with a wire, it's now running the fan after a few hits. I plugged the PSU back to the mobo and it's now running the fans a little bit longer, but not very long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom