Fayt19

In Runtime
Ok so I bought this computer from a friend for only $50. Heres the Specs:

E6600
2GB of DDR2 (Yes DDR2 -.-)
250GB 7200RPM HDD
7950GT
550W Enermax PSU

I have a Major heat problem. This I am aware of. The computer was overheating when I got it and it was filled with dust so I dusted it and pulled off the CPU cooler. Well I dont have Thermal Grease and reinstalled it as is. On top of that the stock CPU cooler, one of the plastic clips is bent so it doesnt fully seat either. ON TOP OF THAT, non of the case fans work so the computer runs with the side off. not even the GPU Fan wants to spin 90% of the time...I feel like im starting a lawn mower, manually spinning it like 5 times before it will start spinning...maybe theirs hair or something binding the fan up.

CPU idles at 80c...yes IDLES at 80c...

I have a small statue that sits on top of the CPU cooler to help it seat better which sometimes helps.

So now that you know about my heat issue maybe it will help you fix my real problem. If I turn the computer off...its a pain in the butt to get it back on. I press the power button, the CPU fan comes on, if I have the case fans connected they spin but because they are bent or something so they just rub, the HDD sounds like its spinning up, and the GPU fan attempts to spin..like I said I have to "Pull start it".

Nothing else happens...the screen stays black. From using google because I hate to waste peoples time, everyone says its a Videocard or Monitor problem. The weird thing is...after a restart my computer randomly between 1-100 times...it will just magically boot up...I dont get it...if I dont turn it off it will stay running forever...only has the overheating problem.

I want to upgrade this sad computer but before I can...I need to know whats causing this issue.

Is it not booting up because the CPU is overheating up?
Is it not booting up because my GPU is dying?
or Maybe the PSU is dying and takes 50 power ups to finally supply the power?

I must note that in the past before using the statue on the CPU cooler...I would start it up and then it would just shut off. Im pretty sure that was an overheat issue because after taking off the cooler again and reseating it, and adding the statue on top it stopped doing that.

To sum up..I turn computer on, I hear the computer running but screen stays black...randomly after multiple restarts, it will actually boot up. While booted up the computer runs fine other than the crazy overheating.

You sort of answer your own question. You aren't using thermal paste, you know the fans aren't doing their jobs...so yeah, it's overheating. If you really want to fix it you need to get a heatsink with working mounts, clean it up real good and thermal paste it properly ( thin even layer ). Because it's suffered some heat damage ( most likely ) you really should spring for a chipset heatsink kit for like $15 on new egg. Get at least two of the case fans working ( one blowing in and one blowing out ). It will probably cost you $50 and an hour of time.

I know its overheating but is that the cause of the computer starting up and the screen not coming on? like I said after a random amount of restarts it will boot up. Can you relate my overheating to the problem that seems like it points to the PSU failing or the GPU dying?

I know its overheating but is that the cause of the computer starting up and the screen not coming on? like I said after a random amount of restarts it will boot up. Can you relate my overheating to the problem that seems like it points to the PSU failing or the GPU dying?

In short... probably. We can't really be sure until you fix your existing problems though...

Heat can damage your components; if you're idling 80C... then you seriously need to STOP USING THE COMPUTER until you can get a replacement heatsink/fan, and thermal paste.

Clean the old paste off with high-percentage isopropyl alcohol (90%+ is recommended) and a lint-free cloth (coffee filters work great for this, IMO).

It just doesnt make sense...Like i said when the computer does finally decide to boot up it works fine. I know theres an overheating problem but if that was the cause of the computer refusing to boot then I would have random computer crashs and shut offs from the computer overheating.

Like I said.. we can't really troubleshoot effectively until you fix your existing overheating problem... Fix that, and then we will go from there.

Edit: http://www.overclock.net/t/439016/e6600s-real-tjmax

Post #9. You should be WELL below those numbers. Depending on the stepping of your CPU, your Distance to TJMax is either 70c or 80c... those are the limitations of the CPU before the CPU gets TOO hot and yells about it; going passed those temps can cause hardware damage.

Back
Top Bottom