PSU fan suddenly loud... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default PSU fan suddenly loud...

Just 2 days ago when playing bf2 I noticed the computer started getting really hot and the PSU fan is making this really loud noise that it never used to. I dusted out the comp about a month ago but I'm not sure what is wrong with the PSU fan. Do you think it could be clogged with dust?

btw it only makes this noise when I play games. It's an Antec smartpower 2.0 500w

Old 06-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: PSU fan suddenly loud...

Are you sure that it's the PSU fan? I had a similar problem with the fan on my graphics card. I'd either have to stop the fan for a few seconds or hit the side of my computer to get it to stop (although I don't recommend you do that).

If it's not dust, then it could be it's become slightly loose, OR the bearing are wearing out. If that's the case and it is then PSU fan, then I think you're looking at a new PSU I'm afraid. However, if it's the fan on another component, you should be able to change the fan if I'm not mistaken.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Not 100% sure it's the PSU fan but by putting my ear next to the side of the comp it is loudest at the PSU and i put my hand over the the back which is blowing quite weakly as an exhaust fan from the PSU. I'll re-dust the computer during the week when it stops raining and check the gfx card fan too.

Is it possible to take apart the PSU to check for dust inside or is that a bad idea?
Old 06-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

You probably could but it would be a very bad idea. You'd have to know what you're doing so as not to destroy your PSU entirely.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Also my wire management is horrible... the side fan sucking air into the comp is faced with a big bunch of wires behind it so I'm thinking that will interrupt air circulation and effect the temp also. I'll get a pic of it.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Get some cable ties and move the cables away from the PSU and see if that helps.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Old 06-17-2008, 01:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
I know things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direland View Post
You probably could but it would be a very bad idea. You'd have to know what you're doing so as not to destroy your PSU entirely.
Or kill yourself. the capaciters in there can hold enough energy in them to knock you into next tuesday if you don't know what your doing. This is even after it was off for awhile.

BEER, is it in you?
Old 06-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'd say go ahead and open your PSU up. Sure, the capacitors DO hold a powerful charge, so be careful and simply DON'T TOUCH THEM! In fact, try not to touch ANY metal part of the board (the metal case is grounded, so that's OK to touch). Get it open and take some compressed air to it to remove all that dust. I took mine apart to replace the fan one time and ended up with a big pile of dust on the floor, so do this in the basement or garage if possible. Next, you can unscrew the fan and usually disconnect it from the PSU board. Now you can blow out dust and test it (it should just be a 12v 80mm fan, you can plug it into another PSU to test it). If it can't be fixed, you can take another 80mm fan, splice the old fan's connector on (if necessary), and plug the new fan into the PSU board and mount it in the PSU case. As long as you don't touch the metal heatsinks or capacitors, you should be perfectly fine. To be extra careful, let the PSU sit disconnected for a day or so before operating on it (let the capacitors drain a bit).

I've opened many PSU's before, one from an old AT computer (lowered the fan voltage to make it quieter), one from an old Compaq (replaced the noisy fan with a quieter blue LED fan), and one mini-ATX PSU from my HP desktop (wanted to see if I could re-route the wires, but I couldn't, so had to get a new PSU).

Old 06-17-2008, 02:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I wouldn't really recommend opening up your power supply unless your experienced at it. As stated before in this post if you mistakenly touch the capacitors you could be TOAST..

First I would Isolate that it really is the PSU fan after all causing the noise. Open up your computer case (while the comp is off) then turn on the computer. You should get a better sense of where the noise is coming from. You can also VERY LIGHTLY and carefully stop the CPU fan just for a second, and do the same for your Graphics Card and any other Fans you may have installed. Make sure you ground yourself by Using a wrist band or holding a metal part of the casing. If the noise stops when one of the fans are stopped than that is the culprit and replace accordingly. If stopping them doesnt stop the noise then it's your PSU fan. If that's the case my recommendation would be to just replace the whole PSU instead of tearing them apart and dealing with all that. PSU's are very cheap nowadays and it's good to upgrade them every now and again anyhow.

Closed Thread