PSU failure Need recommendation for new one

mikee

Fully Optimized
First off I am pretty sure my PSU is failing but not sure if this really fits into troubleshooting or upgrades section. Anyway, last week my computer powered off and rebooted randomly and hung at the motherboard screen. I hit the reset button and got a message saying a power supply surge was detected then it took me into the bios. All was well until today when it happened again so I rebooted again then it didn't even finish booting and then shut off completely and wouldn't turn on again until I unplugged the power cable and plugged it back in. I am 99% sure the psu is buggered but what would you recommend as a replacement, or is there a way to fix the issue without replacing the PSU?

Currently I have an Ultra X4 650W PSU that is from 2011. Some people have said bad things about ultra PSUs. Given my current specs and the thought of building an AMD Ryzen 4 or 6 core CPU build later this year with the same hard drives and graphics card what would you recommend? I don't want to spend too much on the PSU ideally under 120$

Last edited:
According to the newegg psu calculator I need 556W so I am not sure that seasonic would cut it. I hear they are a great brand though in terms of power supplies 120$ is sort of my absolute worst case scenario budget. Ideally I would like to spend less but not at the expense of reliability.

When (if) I build the ryzen computer later this year it would probably be a ryzen 5 65W version or what ever the 6 core version is or 4 core 8 thread version. So I guess the PSU requirements would go down compared to the 95W my current processor apparently uses under load.

Last edited:
As long as you pick a reliable brand, the 520w is fine.

I'm running an OC'd 4690k (88w TDP) and a GTX 1070, plus H110 watercooler on my 9 year old Corsair 520hx. And according to the calculator, I need 593 watts. PSU calculators are never exact; only give an approximation.

I have my system hooked up to a UPS that shows output wattage, and during intense games, I've only seen it hit around 340-350w.

Last edited:
The 750W seasonic might be the one I go for. Is there any way to tell if all the cables will reach where they need to go mainly the motherboard 4 or 8 pin connector. I'm not worried about this in my current rig because it mounts the PSU in the top near where most motherboards have their 4/8 pin power connector. My next computer is going to be built in a corsair carbide 200R later this year which mounts the psu in the bottom. I will want to actually cable manage that build but I am seeing in the review section that some are saying the motherboard 4/8 pin connector has a hard time reaching the top where the connector is when routed around the back of the motherboard

https://seasonic.com/product/g-750/

Go to the "Cables" tab and it shows the lengths. Then find the measurements of your chosen case, and approximate the measurements (don't forget to include routing through cable management ducting for behind the motherboard tray if you intend to cable manage appropriately).

The 750W seasonic might be the one I go for. Is there any way to tell if all the cables will reach where they need to go mainly the motherboard 4 or 8 pin connector. I'm not worried about this in my current rig because it mounts the PSU in the top near where most motherboards have their 4/8 pin power connector. My next computer is going to be built in a corsair carbide 200R later this year which mounts the psu in the bottom. I will want to actually cable manage that build but I am seeing in the review section that some are saying the motherboard 4/8 pin connector has a hard time reaching the top where the connector is when routed around the back of the motherboard
The 200r doesn't have a whole lot of options in terms of cable management, and it's pretty short. Almost any PSU will have long enough cables.

A Ryzen chip is going to consume less power than your current Phenom 2 actually, and the 950 sips juice. You're looking at 300W maximum power draw, closer to 250W. I would grab an eVGA 650w G3 Supernova, and keeping the 950 the 550W would be more than enough even with a GTX 1080ti. Considering the 550W G3 is 2 bucks cheaper I'd just get the 650 and call it a day. For comparison I have ran a GTX 1070 and a 1240v5 (i7 6700 basically) on a 340W platinum rated HP PSU.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superno...&qid=1488090142&sr=8-4&keywords=evga+650&th=1

Last edited:
Do hard drives use much power? I know SSDs don't but Back in the day I had PSU issues after adding a second hard drive to my computer and that PSU was 400W

Back
Top Bottom