PSU dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PSU arrives today. Is there anything I need to keep an eye when slapping it in the computer? I heard about some PSU's killing or overloading the motherboard when first installed, how do I prevent this, or does it rarely happen. I plan to reset the CMOS before I do this too, just because I'll be in there already, good idea? Anything I need to look for on first boot up after the install?

Never heard of a new power supply killing components when first installed, unless it was a cheap generic one.

Theres nothign special to do, and clearing the CMOS is a good idea after an incident such as yours.

ohGrFreak said:
Ah jeez, I hope it's not my mobo, although it's been through a lot in the past, mainly with the static electricity I talked about. It's been zapped quite a bit (my house is not grounded).

Get your house electrical system grounded now. It's a major risk to not have it grounded, for both your saftey and the saftey of your electronics.

Shoot. I reset the CMOS and put the battery back in, I made sure the main mobo connector was in snug and snapped in place, I made sure I plugged in the 4 pin connector to the mobo as well. The fans won't even turn. The mobo light comes on and shows green, then dims and dies. DOA? Or is something really messed up here? Do PSU's work if they are not plugged into the mobo? I can unhook the main and the 4 pin and try to turn it on I guess and see if I can get the PSU's own fans to even turn on, because they don't even turn.

WTH? What happens when one of the screws holding the motherboard in place comes out and the motherboard is not touching the standoff anymore? I just noticed that on one edge the screw is gone and the motherboard is hovering there over the standoff.

EDIT, I talked to my last resort person, the guy who built and sold me the computer in the first place. He asked me to look for capacitors that were blown/popped up. He then asked me to discharge the PSU and everything and try again. Not working. He also said that the chances of it being the motherboard was slim. Any suggestions before I RMA the new PSU?

okay, you may laugh at me for this one. i sent my new PSU back for a replacement, and they recieved it and all and they will be sending the new one shortly (that's not the funny part).

I was reading up in my motherboard's manual and noticed the 4 pin AUX plug in. Now, heh, does this need to be plugged in, in order to boot the computer? I do not remember unplugging this when I took out my dead PSU, and I know I didn't hook it up when I tried my new PSU.

I'm thinking to myself as I'm writing this "I have over 1000 posts and I've been a member for quite a while now, and I'm STILL a newb".

4pinauxconnection0024vd.jpg

circled in blue on the left is the AUX connection. i also circled towards the right a USB connector that's not plugged in, the wire that's not plugged in is black.

Thanks many many times for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom