PSU buzzing sound, is it faulty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deanos63

Baseband Member
Hi all,

I recently brought a hiper 580w type-R PSU around a week ago, i have fitted it and it has been fine for a week, all of a sudden it has developed a buzzing noise coming from round the back next to the 80mm PSU. I have done some troubleshooting myself and found that if i shut down my PC there is still a small (annoying ) electrical noise coming from the PSU. I swith the main switch off from the PSU and the 80mm fan stops and the noise goes (obviously) when i swith JUST the PSU back on the noise reappears. Fan stays off.

Now if i turn my PC on the noise becomes slightly louder, it also becomes more louder when i am scrolling, mainly in Internet explorer when i am on the internet.

Is this a PSU fault? there is a 3 year warrenty on the unit so i'm not to worried if it is faulty, but i don't need the hassle of sending it back and waiting for a new one, especially if they want all the cables and stuff back!

that buzzing sound is the capacitors or the resistors from ur PSU or from ur CRT monitor. What it does is it vibrates and creates a buzzing sound. BTW why does ur fan still spin while the system is off?!i!? To me sounds like its surged by a electrical spike and its gonna fail soon.
I would sent the PSU back A.S.A.P.

it says in the manually the fanwill still spin when the computer has been shut down, (not the PSU being turned off) to disperse any heat, and will stop after a few minutes.

I wondered the same thing, until i read the manual.

I don't have a CRT monitor, but i agree i think the PSU has had it after 7 days. I would understand if it was a cheap PSU but this had great reviews and wasn't cheap?

maybe its just one of those things. would it also be the capatitor making noise when i'm scrolling?

wow that pretty neat how the PSu fan turns off, but i kind off see it pointless since the system is off and the PSU is not reproducing heat anymore :\
It can be a variety of things in the PSU causing it to buzz and i understand ur annoyance because i have a 1992 CRT monitor that also buzzes for a while and then it fads away in an 1hr.
if i were in ur shoes id call the manufacture and tell them ur situation before u send it back.

yes, i have ordered a new one and when that comes i will try it and then send the noisy one back to the shop.

I am more or less 100% certain that this is not right, A) it didn't do it when i first got it, and B) it's not a constant buzz or humming that i would expect from a electrical appliance but more of a crackling type buzz, the sought of noise you get when you attach a car battery. (obviously there are no sparks!) AND C) it shouldn't make this crackling buzzing noise when my computer has been shut down.

It seems to get louder as the PSU gets hotter.

ooo.....
so its a cracking buzz.... I thought u were talking about the buzz when u put on a TV. Now i know what ur talking about... If u were to still use the PSU it would probably kill ur motherboard.

yeah and it gets louder when i scroll in IE!

maybe i will turn my PC off now and wait for my new one to arrive!

wow that pretty neat how the PSu fan turns off, but i kind off see it pointless since the system is off and the PSU is not reproducing heat anymore :\

Yes but the heat that was there doesn't instantly disappear when you shut it off.

Yeah this thread is 2 years old now. Moved the one post and now closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom