is it the PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

torndrk

Solid State Member
I have a HP Pavilion m7750n
running windows 7

When I attempt to restart(or start the computer for the day) theres a loud fan noise. My monitor stays black. I could leave it like that for 10 minutes and the fan will still be loud and the monitor will stay black(not even the blue little light indicating its on will turn on).
I've tried different video cables, replaced the heatsink fan, thermal paste, tried a different monitor. None of them worked.

Someone told me that it might be the video adapter but I dont see how I can troubleshoot this.
The only way I could turn the computer on is by removing the power cord and plugging it back in. It takes about 10 unplugs to finally turn on

So is it my PSU? or something else?

thanks in advance

well I just replaced my PSU. it turns out that wasnt the problem.
My processor is running at a normal temp but the fan is loud.
should i replace the heatsink and processor fan
and thank to poster above me

I would also try a graphics card. Are you running on-board? If so, and the card went bad it can be locking up on post cause bios acknowledges there is no video feed. The fans will run higher cause the system is stressing to find the video card. The several plug-in cause the card to eventually reset (meaning its not totally bad, but going bad).

thanks mindover and bento

I just replaced the fan and the problem persists.
It might be the graphics card like bento said but I dont know what to do if thats the case. should I get a new one? already spent 70 dollars trying to repair it

thanks again

The very first thing I would have checked is to see if there are any bulging or busted capacitors on the motherboard.

I would bet that this is what the problem is, as I have had exactly the same issue with more than my fair share of older boards with bulging caps. If you're skilled with a soldering iron you can fix it yourself, or just pay to have someone fix it for you.

Check to see if any of the capacitors (they look like upright barrels) have rounded (bulging) tops, or any sticky/nasty/foamy looking junk at the bottom of them. If you notice any of this, then that is most likely your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom